New old project-1946 Austin gasser

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
I don't know. the 68 Camaro Z/28 that took second two years ago had a freaking cowl hood on it.
That tells me two things. Either there wasn't much competition, or the other cars had larger flaws. I have a good friend who's a judge out there. but his area is old Fords, and he's got a couple that have scored near perfect with 996+.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So here's the next challenge. How to get the hard lines supported, plus make a point to allow attachment of the carb return springs. I haven't decided if I'll make this out of aluminum flat bar and have the pieces welded together, or cut it out of one piece. I'm leaning towards the flat bar, as it will be easier, and look cleaner I think. There's just nowhere to put a return spring, so this will support the lines with two insulated straps, and a hole drilled in line with each carb should make return spring attachment easy too!

Here's my template:

Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 PM

awesome project

Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 415Khan
awesome project
Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Why not come out with a shorter bracket, attached to the inboard carb base bolts? It would look less obtrusive that way. Plus I'd feel more comfy supporting under the distribution block instead of hanging it on the lines. A bracket in the middle would also give you a return spring mounting point.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Why not come out with a shorter bracket, attached to the inboard carb base bolts? It would look less obtrusive that way. Plus I'd feel more comfy supporting under the distribution block instead of hanging it on the lines. A bracket in the middle would also give you a return spring mounting point.
I need a spring for each carb, not just one in the middle. The inboard bolts create a problem with the bolt that's near the accelerator pump. I'm using the off side bolts on both carbs where there's no accelerator pump to cause clearance issues. Not enough meat can be left around the area to properly support the bracket if I trim it to clear the pump arm. I also need to spread the mounting out far enough to be in line with the driver's side carb linkage to have a point there to attach the spring. If I support it on the inboard bolts it leaves a long arm sticking out to that side with the spring attached that will flex, unless it's made overly heavy.
I plan to bend this bracket twice so it comes off the carb base at 45 degrees, and then bends 45 degrees again at the lines. I can't attach to the fuel block, as it has no mounting points, plus attaching at the block still leaves a lot of unsupported line length.
Once the bracket is made up, I'll shape the tabs round and taper them a little. They will also get "lightening" holes drilled to make it look better. The cardboard pattern is just to see how things line up, placement, and length. Once I see it fits, it will get all the finishing touches and dressing done.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I got the carb return spring brackets sorted out. I made two brackets that bolt down to the rear carb base bolts and I attached a return spring pulling back on the lower throttle arm. They are small and independent of each other, so inconspicuous too. I'll build two individual brackets up front to support the fuel line also, so they'll be small also.
Got a little more tuning done today, and was having trouble getting it to idle down below 1500 rpm. I found a bind in the linkage, but that didn't cure it all. Was scratching my head when the next door neighbor stopped over (not a car guy!) and casually asks, "Is that rubber thing supposed to be split in half?"
The rubber plug at the back of one of the new carbs was split on half and sucking air big time! Went got a new one out of my parts and it idled down so low I had to adjust the idle back up!
Still need to get a timing light on it, and a vacuum gauge so I can set timing and adjust the carbs.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Spent all day yesterday at our huge swap meet. Steady walking from 7:00am, to 2:00pm. to get through the first half! Heading back today to do the 2nd half, which will probably take another full 7-8 hrs. of walking to see!
Two of my buddies bought project cars yesterday. By coincidence both mid 30's Plymouht coupes! One an original '35 that is very rust free, but missing the frontend sheet metal, for $1500. The other also original and rust free, but a '34 coupe. It came with a complete Street Beast chassis, with MII front suspension, and 9" ford rear, for $3250. I got a few small bargains, but generally got out the gate cheap. Picked up another 2 gal. Eelco "moon" tank for $20, and a "moon" gas pedal for $10. Both extremely cheap compared to the going prices!

Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Sweet. We got a booth in Hall E, hopefully will find some stuff for my pickup.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Lots more fun today, but again no big purchases for me! Ended up with a 2nd Moon gas pedal; this time a traditional boot shaped pedal, instead of the rectangular I got yesterday. Probably use this one in the Falcon. Got a few other deals of expendables that were too cheap to pass on, and needed for various grinding, and such.

Quick Reply: New old project-1946 Austin gasser