Back-seat Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobarian91
I haven't. I have been going through places like Willcox, zip, and ecklers because they are Vette specific. Willcox seems to have most of all I need.
Makes since lol, nevermind then

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
BackseatBob

Looks like the plan for this weekend is gonna be to finish body work on the camaro and find a speedometer for it... sooner I sell it the sooner I can get a lot more parts.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 AM
BackseatBob

Friday night: fixing that one annoying *** cracked part on the fender. Thing is driving me nuts. After that probably just get back to the camaro and finish her up to sell. Hey 69 do you know where I can get the few metal parts on the body? The lower corners of the windshield frame are pretty rusted as well as the one strip right under the windshield and wiper door. I wanna do everything right so I would rather replace those.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you talking about the actual windshield frame, or the exterior stainless trim? If you're talking about the frame that the windshield is mounted into being rusted away, then you may have more serious rust than what meets the eye. Get your head under the dash on both sides, and look up at where the hinge pillars meet the base of the windshield frame. That's a common rust prone spot. Then pop off the side kick panels, unless they are already, remove the speakers if there are any, and look into the cavity to see the back of the hinge mount areas. From having bad seals, water runs down the windshield frame, and rusts the frame and hinge pillar. Remember when I suggested you try to hyper-extend the doors beyond the open point, to see if the hinges flex? If they move at all on the hinge pillar, you have serious rust problems.
I'm not aware of any aftermarket metal pieces for that area, you'd be best to scour ebay for someone who's stripping a C3. You're looking at removing the windshield at the very least to weld in new frame metal, to digging into the fiberglass to get to the hinge pillar if that's gone.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM
BackseatBob

Well the windshield is already off the car so I want to do it before I put it in. I'll check up under the dash soon as I get off work tonight then. Am I the only one that thinks it odd that no one sells the pillars? Dang haha. I may find a decent metal working shop and have them fab something for it.
Pretty much everything is taken off right now. I sat all the interior pieces where they're supposed to go (aside from door panels... mounted those) but everything underneath is easily accessible.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah that's right, saying to remove the windshield was just a reflex action. I do remember seeing the original pictures and thinking something rust related might be going on at the base of the windshield. It just has that look to it.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:57 PM
BackseatBob

Zip has a lot of the windshield stuff actually. I'm gonna Scott eBay and see what I can't find.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the whole lower windshield/hinge pillar area is rotted away, here's what you're looking at. You can see the area and cavities I was telling you to look at. This is for a 73-77 though, don't ask me what's the difference: Corvette Coupe Original Windshield Frame w Complete Hinge Pillars 1973 1977 | eBay

Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM
BackseatBob

The 73 and up is different because of the windshield wiper door I think...

Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM
BackseatBob

Alright, I've decided to go completely nuts and do a frame-off resto of the vette. Might as well get to the bare bomes. Besides it would drive me nuts knowing about all the surface rust on the frame and doing nothing...

Quick Reply: Back-seat Stingray