Northwest WA, OR, AK

"New" Pacific Wonderland plate in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default "New" Pacific Wonderland plate in Oregon

I'm living in California, but I'm active duty navy, and while I'm in the military, I retain my Oregon residency, which means that I get to title and register my vehicles in Oregon if I choose to. This has been great while I've been living here since California vehichle registration fees are outrageous!

Anyway... I was wondering how many of you from Oregon have heard of the new Pacific Wonderland plates, which are basically replicas of the old yellow on blue plates that were issued in the late 50s and early 60s. The DMV will start issuing them on March 1st, and they will be limited to 40,000 sets. I just bought a '94 Camaro here, and I plan to get one of the first sets of these plates on my car. You can find out more about these plates at this page on the Oregon DMV website: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehic...nderland.shtml

Last edited by wiskow; 02-25-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

I saw that on the news the other night,I'm across the big river in SW WA though so I can't get them,being as I'm an old Orygun native I do remember them fondly.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'll be sure to post some pics when I have the plates on. This is all being done by mail, and I'll be sending the application and check to the Oregon DMV this weekend, so I suspect it'll take a few weeks until the new plates arrive in the mail.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Too spendy for my tastes! They will be the most expensive plates ever offered by the state of Oregon.
I'm going down to DMV and have my old blue and yellow plates reissued to my Camaro, if the numbers haven't been reissued on a newer plate. Then I'll get lifetime SP. plates at the same time, and never renew again!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Too spendy for my tastes! They will be the most expensive plates ever offered by the state of Oregon.
I thought the same thing when I first read about the $100 fee. But then I saw that it's a one-time fee. The Salmon and Cultural Trust plates, on the other hand, are a $30 fee that's due when you initially register and then each time you re-register. So if you only keep the plates for a few years, then yes, it's more expensive. But if you plan to keep them for a while, as I do, it'll end up being cheaper in the long run. And, the money raised is going to support the Oregon Historical Society, which I feel is a worthwhile cause.

I'm going down to DMV and have my old blue and yellow plates reissued to my Camaro, if the numbers haven't been reissued on a newer plate. Then I'll get lifetime SP. plates at the same time, and never renew again!
If you get Special Vehicle plates, they'll be issued as blue on yellow plates. The only way to register a set of old yellow on blue plates is to "convert them to custom plates". I did this to put blue plates on a car I used to have (here is a photo of that car with the blue plates... it's a 1996 Mercury Sable Wagon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiskow/485876645/ -- click on the "All Sizes" link at the top of the photo to see it bigger). But then you have to pay the custom plate fee when you register and each time you re-register. That's $100 every two years. So you're better off getting the yellow SP plates, because like you said, you get them for the life of your vehicle. Or, just pay the $100 once and get the new Pacific Wonderland plates like I'm doing if you want blue plates.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not quite right on the old plates. The state will allow you to get "sp" stickers for old original plates, and not have to get the "sp" plates. I checked already and the fee is $80 one time only. I've got a couple friend swho already went this route because they wanted to keep their original plates, and the state will do this. The only prerequisite is that the car qualifies as a classic, which your 1996 would not have. My '71 is not a problem.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not quite right on the old plates. The state will allow you to get "sp" stickers for old original plates, and not have to get the "sp" plates. I checked already and the fee is $80 one time only. I've got a couple friend swho already went this route because they wanted to keep their original plates, and the state will do this. The only prerequisite is that the car qualifies as a classic, which your 1996 would not have. My '71 is not a problem.
My apologies! I stand corrected.

In that case, if your car qualifies as a classic, then go for it! Just curious... What qualifies as "classic" in Oregon?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Never mind... I just checked the Oregon DMV website, and a vehicle has to be 25 years old at the time of application to qualify as "classic". So in 2019, my '94 Camaro will be classic!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by wiskow
My apologies! I stand corrected.

In that case, if your car qualifies as a classic, then go for it! Just curious... What qualifies as "classic" in Oregon?
I believe it's pre 74, but might be over 25 yrs old. I'll have to ask my buddy who did this on his 1972 Chev truck.
Oops! Just saw you already answered that!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Now I just need to check with DMV to be certain they haven't issued my old plate numbers to a newer plate! They said that was the only thing that would stop me. Since my old plates have been sitting in a box in the garage since around 1978, they may have reused the old number again, which means I can't if they have!

Quick Reply: "New" Pacific Wonderland plate in Oregon