Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Turbo charging a 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Turbo charging a 4th gen...

I am going to be buying a 4th Generation SS Camaro soon and I was making plans to turbocharge the car. I dont know exactly what year Im buying yet, so I dont know if it will be the LT1 or the LS1. Money is going to be an issue so I was wondering if it is possible to turbocharge the engines stock or would I HAVE to replace the pistons, crank and rods with fordged ones?

I have never been able to find a clear answer. Some say its not necessary and some say it is. Ive seen people run NOS on a stock engine and not have problems... and I've also seen people run NOS on a stock engine and blow it to pieces. I know that NOS has similair effects on your engine's stress that forced induction has. Just dont want to turbo my car and blow it to pieces. If putting out just a few pounds of boost wont hurt my engine then thats fine.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Turbo charging a 4th gen...

Depends on how much boost you are going to apply. Keepeing in mind that these are high compression engines, the stock engine wil probably be OK up to 10 PSI boost. If you want to make some real power you need to get up to the 20-25 PSI range, and the whole engine will need to be upgraded to much lower compression and forged internals.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

they use nitrous becuase it doesnt constantly put strain on the engine. A turbo is constantly working so it is constantly making the engine work harder....when it spools that is....They offer a system by PTK which is around 5k and gives you alittle more then 500 rwhp on a stock engine

Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Droid

Nitrus cools the incoming charge and works better with high compression than forced induction.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I know the LS1s are real good with nitrous it seems they were built for the bottle. With nitrous your not putting strain on the block all the time and if the right parts are installed with it, i.e. full throttle switch and a window switch, your car will be very dependable with the bottle. Oh ya get the 2 stage wet system no the dry kit its worth the money.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 PM

It all really depends on the tune too. You can blow your engine with 5 psi and a crappy tune, or it can run great at 10 psi with an awesome tune.

I don't know anything about the camaro engine...I'm just talking from a turbo perspective.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you were to turbo your LT\LS1, You could put a boost controller, manual under the hood or digital inside the cab and run 5lbs of boost for every day point a to point b with out straining your engine so much, and still have a little bit of extra umph... when you are going to race, adjust it to 10 lbs and you are good to go.. Although a set up like this sounds easy.. the tuning for it is not so easy... but it's possible! Just my 2 cents..

Old 09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Pipanski

It all really depends on the tune too. You can blow your engine with 5 psi and a crappy tune, or it can run great at 10 psi with an awesome tune.

I don't know anything about the camaro engine...I'm just talking from a turbo perspective.

Good luck.

Tuning is the single most important aspect of the precious Boost. Bad tune = LT/LS Grenade. Good Tune = LT/LS Swift-as-ninja-ness

Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 AM

Check out Gale Banks, he has a kit for a small block chevy. Gasoline Powered!