Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Is nitrous cheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Is nitrous cheating?

ORIGINAL: cbr600rx7

ORIGINAL: nickdotcom

ORIGINAL: cbr600rx7

If you say nitrous is cheating then you have to include turbos and sc's too.
they will just tell you that nitrous is cheating because the increase in air comes from a bottle...

i've also heard the arguement that nitrous is cheating because anyone can hook it up and it takes no skill.

They have never tried to hook up a ZEX kit with heater, TPS, FPSS, Purge, window switch and trying to keep it clean. LOL. Nitrous is noting more than a chemical reaction that increasing the intake charge by making the air more cool and condensed. If nitrous is cheating then alcohol injection, and methanol injection for SC and turbos must be cheating too.
Zex is cake. the TPS and FPSS are all included. the tough thing is doing something like NX or NOS with the separate solenoids and a microswitch. the relays arent that fun either.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

LOL this is true. I hate wiring of any kind and i am only so so at it. But i am getting the job done i hope to run mine on sunday for the first time on the new set up ill let you know how it works out.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: badinfluenceRS

It's not cheating...do what it takes...

HOWEVER, if someone who uses nitrous will definetely see the drawbacks themselves so in a way it's cheating yourself...

Power all the time > power for 1 shot
you think the bottle runs out in 1 shot?

spraying a 75 shot i have no problem getting 5 consistant runs and still have 1000+ PSI i nthe bottle

i have yet to see a single drawback. my rear end are still intact because of my window switch vs. having all power all the time.

and i run the same as a number of cam only cars while spending much less money

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear member

its not cheating, but it does have drawbacks. I would def wanna build a kickass motor, then spray an already good motor, not take a slow crapper an spray to make it a lil fast

Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nickdotcom

ORIGINAL: badinfluenceRS

It's not cheating...do what it takes...

HOWEVER, if someone who uses nitrous will definetely see the drawbacks themselves so in a way it's cheating yourself...

Power all the time > power for 1 shot
you think the bottle runs out in 1 shot?

spraying a 75 shot i have no problem getting 5 consistant runs and still have 1000+ PSI i nthe bottle

i have yet to see a single drawback. my rear end are still intact because of my window switch vs. having all power all the time.

and i run the same as a number of cam only cars while spending much less money
I was referring to a built NA or even FI motor will have consistant power everytime you step on the gas, without have a "burst" of temporary power

Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Ninja Administrator

why would a temporary burst be cheating? i mean seriously, there is absolutely positively NO logic in that argument. if thats the case, the WOT is cheating, because it doesnt happen all the time. we then need to afix all of our cars with lawnmower throttles to make everyone happy and make sure everybody is always running *ahem* "Rabbit speed!"......

Heres the deal, there is no reason for calling nitrous cheating. it has its pros and cons verses other power adders.

if you still arent convinced, one of two things is happening.

1) you have very little knowledge of how the internal combustion engine works, and this new fangled "hocus pocus" that is nitrous scares you in your old timely ways.

2) for you, nitrous has been tainted by the ever popular "Fast and the Furious", but in that case you are then just as impressionable and therefore just as bad as the spikey-headed crooked visor wearin kid in the 19 second accord (he wanted the civic, but this is close enough).

btw, this is a general rant, not directed at u RS

Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear member

everyone says it has its drawbacks, but can anybody name a single real drawback?

besides the "the bottle runs out" crap...

Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Ninja Administrator

exactly, i dont mind refilling the bottle. i can just drop it off and most shops will cool it and fill it for me and i can pick it up at the end of the day.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear member

i always look around the shop nad shoot the **** with the guys there while my bottle chills in the fridge

or drop it off if i have something to do

Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Ninja Administrator

and actually, they have these sidekick bottles now that you fill with nitrogen called "Nanos". they are a smaller bottle, and you fill them to 4000psi. it feeds into the nitrous bottle and keeps the pressure in there at a constant 1000psi regardless of temp (unless it gets too hot). no more need for heaters, and no more power fall off as the bottle cools. the only limitation to the system, is that the gas will cool inside the bottle significantly if you run a decent sized shot for a full pass. when my bottle gets low (4ish lbs) and I do a full pass i will usually drop about 100 psi or so, sometimes 200, just because of the cooling effects of the gas. but that isnt a drawback anymore than turbo lag or parasitic loss, its an inherant limitation. but thats gone with these nano things

Quick Reply: Is nitrous cheating?