Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Everclear 190

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Default Everclear 190

Has anyone ever heard of that rumor that you could run an engine on Everclear 190? Some friends and I have been talking about it. One of my buds owns a corner store that sells all kinds of "drinks" and he said that it probablly would. He also said that he wouldn't put very much in it because it might burn up your pistons. We were thinking about trying this to a lawnmower and seeing what happens. Anyone heard of this before? Or been dumb enough to try it?[8D]

Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Everclear 190

i guess you could. it wouldn't be the best thing for a stock engine, but i do know that almost all cars in Brazil (i think) run only on ethanol. the same goes with top fuel dragsters and other racing applications.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Wonder if you could do like a 70/30 mix for a little boost at the track? I dunno if it would even give you any though.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member

of course you can. you just need to run it rich it alchohol. my dad knows his **** and he said yes. its just too light and burns fast so it needs more gas than air. change the jets and you'll be fine.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

It wouldnt give you any performace without some sort of mods and tuning. Your stock fuel system is set to run on 91-93 octane. The ecu will not correct for any thing more. So by runing any high octane you are basicly just burning cash with out tuning and heavy mods. However if you run less then that the ecu will try to correct by changing the fuel and spark to help with the lower fuel and due to that will cause your NA engine to loss performace. Turbo cars can get away with runing higherfuels by tuning up the boost to make more power the higher octane alows the engine to run a higher over all conpresion with out knock, ping, grenade, etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

It will run you might have to start it on gasoline and then switch to everclear we did it with a vw beetle at a party years ago. When we were kids we went a step further and mixed 80% nitro methane from my dads rc airplanes with gas and tried to run it in the gocart it would barely run. My dad wasnt any better he would put liquid ether in the race gasin his Triumph drag bike. There are a bunch of other chemicals that have been used but I am not mentioning them due to the fact that they are nasty stuff it isnt worth messing with them. I wouldnt run the everclear in anything important alcohol is corosive to certion metals and effects certion rubber seals. Because everclear is not pure ethanol it contains a water component that will help form a acid which will attackthe metals. You would be better off experimenting with E85. Alcohol has alot of performance advantages but the engine needs to be built to take advantage of it.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the everclear is for the driver. haha

no seriously dont drink and drive..

Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM

LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Everclear 190 is 95% pure ethanol so it ought to burn well in an engine. Not sure what the other 5% is and that might cause problems (it's likely to be only water, so, no big deal, it just turns to steam, but I don't know for sure).

Anyway, ethanol is a wonderful fuel. If you properly jet an engine's carbs or injectors, and use the right cam (it burns at a different rate, so you have to subtly adjust), you can get more power with ethanol on high compression engines, at least -- although you will get fewer miles per gallon (there is far less energy per gallon, the reason you have to jet richer to use more of it all the time).

but you will still have to deal with two problems. First, at its most efficient fuel air mixture, it burns hotter than gasoline: you can burn piston tops, etc. solution is to run a bit richer than needed: use extra alcohol to cool the combustion chamber.

Second, it tends to eat away (dissolve) the lining used in may fuel systems, and some gasket materials: a fuel system built for ehtnaol avoids those materials, one deisgned only for gasoline kinda self destructs into many many small leaks.

and that brings up a final point. Ethanol burns so cleanly that there is often no sign of a flame. You can have a leak of fuel dripping onto a manifold and its burning like hell and you don't see anything and lean down right into an invisible flame -- not pretty.

Be careful with it.