New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Still Learning

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Default Still Learning

Hey everyone!
I'll just start off by saying I have no Camaro but I'm looking. I'm looking everywhere for a good restoration project for a 67, 68, or 69. I saw one car on the street and fell in love with it instantly. Ever since then, I've tried to learn about restorations and cars
To be honest, I'm a complete newbie with cars. One reason I want to do this project is so I can learn more about them.
I'm still in the learning stages of restoration projects and cars in general, so any tips anyone can give would help me out a lot. I'm basically in square one, so if anyone is willing to teach, I'm more than willing to learn

Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Still Learning

I came from a family of mechanics, but I learned 100% more reading books reguarding the chevy small block and big block. Most books will get into transmissions which is important depending how much horse power you plan on getting out of a motor. 75% of getting a old car like a 67-** camaro is understanding how the engine works. It's almost like it takes off from there. You get interested in suspension and maybe even body work. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are in highschool, take some auto shop and welding classes. If you are older, you can take the same classes in college. Listen to what everyone has to say, but take it with a grain of salt

Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello,

Welcome to the forums! I know exactly how you feel about not knowing anything about cars, I am the same way, but i'm learning, these guys are real helpful...look around they have all kinds of stuff, but getting the car will help you start, check our For Sale and Wanted Forum part

Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Thank you for the input. I have a couple of questions.
First, what are small blocks and big blocks?
Second, would you reccommend any books for me to start with?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Best of luck with finding and restoring the car you want. I'm sure you'll find the help you need here. Welcome to the boards.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear member

small block and big block are two chevy v8 motors, the name small block means a small casting, and big block is a big casting. Basically, if you look at them one is bigger than the other. all small blocks are the same size outside, but have different size bores inside, the same is true for a big block. both build good power, but parts for small blocks are easier to get