Two fails at learning a stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Default Two fails at learning a stick

So was thinking that I want learn how to drive a stick on a fourth gen now to get ready for a fifth gen in a year or so. Well so far I tried to drive to cheap sticks so far and while I kind of got one going it was shaky and the other a total no go. I still want to get a fourth gen to help on gas but this time a auto. I guess what my point of saying all this is trying to see if a auto is good as a weekend car. My avalanche gets kinda boring during the week.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Autos can still be fun IMO. I love driving mine.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

just ask yourself this(and assume you can drive a stick shift fine): would you rather have a manual or auto?

To me, it sounds like you are settling for an automatic after having a rough time with a manual trans. I say, keep at it until you can drive a stick shift well so you can make a much more informed/better decision as to what you like better; auto or stick.

Personally, I'll always recommend the stick over the auto.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You need a no pressure situation to learn this. I taught my wife how to drive a straight shift and believe me when I say if she can learn anyone can. When I taught her we got in the car at about 2 A.M. in the morning and went to a local business district. There was no one else on the road. We went up and down the streets and around the blocks, stopping and starting a bunch of times. At one point I was starting worry that we were going to wear out the starter on the car because she had killed the car so many times. In the end after about an hour in this no pressure situation she had a pretty good hang of it.

On a funny note. At the end a cop pulled us over and said someone had called in a suspicious vehicle complaint. I explained what was going on and he just laughed. Then as we were leaving the area after being pulled over there was a red light that had us stopped on a hill and the cop was right behind us. The wife ended up killing the car trying to keep from rolling backwards into the cop. The cop ended up driving around us. I am sure he was laughing.

When all was said and done the wife drove the car to work the next day and for almost 5 years after that.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Well I did drive a stick before when I was being taught and got that down in about 20 minutes so I do think if I keep trying ill get it. That being said I'm starting to think that the price range I'm at all the sticks are going to be pretty beat up. So even though I feel like I know how to drive a stick now I won't feel right until I do it in my own vehicle. I'm thinking about just getting a auto now and when I get my fifth gen ill just get paddle shifters.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Overdrive Member

To date I have taught 6 women and one guy how to drive a manual. The method I use is similar to what Alajoe used. I find a late night empty parking lot and I first have them get the car moving with out touching the gas. This teaches you how to slip the clutch and pay attention to what the engine sounds like. This helps the new driver learn how to get the car started in most any situation. Do this over and over again till you can get the car moving with one simple fluid movement. Once that is done then go out and drive and start shifting gears.

Massey

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

don't get the paddle shifters, they suck hard imo with such a delay.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by montecarlogrrl
Autos can still be fun IMO. I love driving mine.
*High five!* I totally agree! I too own an auto and I daily drive my Camaro and I love it. I'll admit that I'm not very experienced at driving a 6-speed, but I know how to drive one. If you decide to get an auto and don't want to get made fun of for not having a manual, put a 3000 stall converter into it. I say try to learn how to drive a manual first.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
4th Gear Member

you don't need to justify getting an auto tranny. If it's what you really want, then get it. If you really want a manny tranny then get that. Stating "it will be beat up" etc doesn't hold water.

As long as both of my legs work I will always buy a manny tranny. It's getting harder to find them these days. I have in excess of a million miles on manny tranny cars and pickup trucks and yes that includes big city driving (or traffic to be more specific)

IMHO, driving a manny tranny around town makes you a more aware driver because you must drive the vehicle vs simply riding in it.

But, at the end of the day, manny trannys aren't for everyone. Baskin and Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream for a reason.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

I like my auto because it lets me keep both hands on the wheel when im sliding and and twisting, i remember how hard that was in the lude. But i also love the auto cause its a much better feel, more gears, more intune with the car, all around i just need a car some gas and a key(sometimes)

Quick Reply: Two fails at learning a stick