New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Restore or Restomod Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM
Default Restore or Restomod Question

Good Morning,

I am looking for some advice. I have a 1968 Camaro Coupe which is a match numbers car. I am wondering if I should restore it or do a restomod on it. Not looking for a daily driver but something that I can take out on the weekends. I was originally thinking about doing the restomod but have read some things and I am wondering if restoring it might be a better idea. Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Well it's your car but many would call it a shame to restomod a numbers matching car.
That would go double for a Z28 or SS of course,not so much for say a six banger plain jane.
There's a lot to like in a restomod with LS power like reliability and gas mileage but a 50 year old car is only original once.
If it was mine I'd probably go with a restore,if I did restomod I wouldn't do anything that can't be undone and put back original and I'd keep all the original parts stashed away.
Just my 2 cts.

Last edited by Y2Keglide; 02-11-2021 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanks Y2K. I think that I might do the resto-mod but keep things simple and of course, keep the matching parts.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:05 PM
Default Giggs

New to the Forum. Came seeking assistance from those who are learned and I hope to contribute myself as well. I own a 2014 SS convertible and a Gen II amalgam. The Gen II is 1970-1973 front and 1978-1981 rear. I am trying to modify the rear consistent with the early front end. I spent the past few months modifying the engine compartment, and solving a nagging oil leak at the rear manifold. Once that was solved, I decided maybe I can do more before the good weather returns. I watched Stacey David's Gearz episode about a 1981 "butt lift" and was sold. I ordered the parts in and yesterday, after I looked closer at at the quarter panels, I thought s***, may as well change the rear glass too since the qtr panels extend to the side of the glass. But then, I wondered, what about the inside of the cabin, where the old glass continued down lower into the qtr panel. Shouldn't there be a small metal panel added to the interior to line up and match that area of the outer shell of the replacement qtr panel? I have determined there are interior plastic trim sail panels that will cover that gap but what about metal? I can't find anything addressing whether there is an interior metal panel that maybe has to be welded there. Seems to me the new quarter panel where the glass will sit, will need more support. The sail panel trim pieces appear to fasten at the top (Headliner) and bottom (armrest panel). I don't see any molding for pins or fasteners visible in the middle of the trim panel typically associated with mounting a plastic panel to the sheet metal. This causes me to wonder if maybe there is no other interior metal panel for this but again, then it seems to be that if that were the case, there wouldn't be much support there for the window. I have tried to pull up pics and videos but can't find anything directly on point. I can only find a couple restorations to existing 1970-1973 and misc photos I've seen with background images incidental to unrelated mods. In short, I can't find anything on point. Stacey Davids Gearz video was only an initial episode. The proposed modification was incomplete. It's noteworthy that in that episode, he was not going to change the 1981 rear glass, but only the tail end. and like I said, that was my plan too but then when I saw the window ledge on the two qtr panels, it seemed to only make sense that I do that too. I have also noticed the trunk floor pan is different (early and late). The Gearz episode listed parts needed to do the "butt lift" and a replacement trunk pan was not among the items he described so I didn't plan on changing it. So, I have two questions.... 1. Does anybody know if there is some additional metal that I'll need to buy or fabricate to the inside cabin against the back of the new aftermarket 1972 Qtr Panel, in the area of where the plastic trim sail panel will go? 2. Does the trunk floor pan have to be changed also for this modification? .
Looking forward to any kind of guidance. Giggs

Last edited by Giggs; 02-11-2021 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Error in question