New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Replacement Vin

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Default Replacement Vin

I have a 68 Camaro I just bought and the vin on the firewall does not match the title and the vin on the door post is missing. How do I obtain replacement vin plates?
Thanks

Old 11-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Titles are assigned by State and the rules vary. To the best of my knowledge what you are talking about would not be possible. You have a title without a matching car (which is worthless) and a car without a title. You can apply for a title for the vin you have but not for a new vin. Hopefully the vin you have is clean. Again here in PA the process to obtain a title will require the previous title holder to sign over papers. That mean finding him and her and convincing them to sign. There is a process if the owner can not be found but you have to pay for 3 certified letters and the title holder has 6 months to reply to each. Now if the car has been out of the DMV for 20 ish years all records are gone getting a title is no longer an option for an regular consumer,

If a licensed tow company in pounds the car then holds the car until the storage fees are greater then the value of the car. Then the State of PA will reissue a title. That is just because tow companies that are ordered to in pound abandon cars sitting on the side of the road end up getting the short straw a lot. Example:: a running driving with title V6 92 camaro is worth $2000, they have to store it 3 months to get to $2000. As a parts car the 92 Camaro is worth $500.

It is possible to RE-Vin a car but the only time I have seen it is import/export companies that have to do it because the original Vin number does not match our requirement. It is a very pricey process. Like buying a running driving 68 project car expensive.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear member

I think there are state or federal laws that may be involved because of things like car thefts. A background check of both the firewall and title VINs may be necessary to clear any suspicion of theft problems before the authorities will do anything. This is really a problem the seller should have to take care of. They would have more knowledge of history than you. If it were me, I would contact the seller and request he straighten this mess out or refund your money.

I should mention, I had a friend who got caught up in a situation similar to this only he didn't know there was any problems with VIN. The law came and confiscated the car because it had been stolen. It was a 1969 Camaro that he had for a couple years and he never got the car or his money back. He was just an innocent bystander. A lot of people never check to see if the firewall and VIN tag match the title. Taking a clean title from another car and using it to register a stolen car is way to conceal the previous history and the thieves know generally there is more money selling the car complete than parting it out.

Last edited by peterpar; 11-25-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:19 PM
4th Gear Member

The trim Tag next to master cylinder is the Fisher Body assembly line number and has nothing to do with VIN.
The '68 VIN tag is on the dash viewed from the outside on driver side. There is no door jam VIN tag as this design was last used in '67.
If rivets are showing, however slight, tag has been replaced, I wager.
There is a stamped partial VIN under the cowl panel , usually hard in reading, and a partial stamped VIN under the heater blower motor.
One can get a state-issued VIN and usually must be State Police witnessed upon install of tag.
As suggested, check with your state's DMV for the rules.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't know what state you live in. But here in IL, and no doubt many other states, the seller must supply the title to the car they are selling. It's against the law to sell a car without the title. Your seller did not supply you with the title to the car he sold you. So, you can give him three options; he will straighten out the title issue for you, refund your money and take the car back, or you will send the law after him for selling you a car illegally.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here in PA it was a common to just do bill of sale on race cars back in the 70's, 80's with 1st gen. There are hundreds if not thousands of these "race cars" floating around. Many of these cars are rust free in varying stages of modification. I myself bought a 70 Chevelle out of a junk yard bill of sell to build a circle track car in the early 80's. These cars are bought and sold bill of sale only and are worth a fraction of a titled car, If a guy could figure out how to re-title or re-vin them he could make a small fortune. As it stands you would have to go through the Custom hot rod process, but I have yet to see anyone do it on a chassis built after the 50's.

Example: Vega project with a title sell for good money around here. The below car would be 3 times the value with a title.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...737133877.html

I do agree if someone gave you a title with the car and then told you, you could some how make that work they are guilty of fraud. The State is not going to start making replacement Vin tags for cars with different Vin tags. If they allowed it, it is just a matter of time before things got ugly with bribes and states start re-vin tagging 1/4 million dollar stolen cars.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-25-2018 at 06:05 PM.