New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New to the world of rebuilding/modding

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Default New to the world of rebuilding/modding

So a couple years ago, I bought a project car. It is my first project real project car. Not just something I have to keep going so that I have something to drive, as a matter of fact it isn't even going. It is a 1983 Camaro base model, no not even a berlinetta. After having put the project on hold for about a year and a half due to some title issues, which I have since luckily gotten resolved, I have a few problems that I have ran into, a) interior is pure trash so I am going through the process of trying to redo it with very limited resources, b) the rear quarter panel is bent in slightly right under the door, and although I have a replacement for it... I don't have a welder or a place to work on that aspect of it, c) I want a new drivetrain, which is where this forum comes in. I am sure that several of you guys here have built some pretty nice rides in your time, and I am looking to pick your brains. I do not know much about the specifics of a small block, nor all the technical names for things under the hood. I know a large variety of what I will call big part names, i.e. carb, intake manifold, heads, exhaust manifold, crankshaft, starter and what not. I do know some of the internal parts as well... however I don't know much about the differences between the different variations of lifters, valves and rollers and all that. Currently the car has a stock 305 ci engine and whatever automatic transmission that came with it. I would like to replace the engine with something a bit beefier, which I know a 350 is just about the easiest thing to get your hands on, and also a good starting point. I would eventually like to have the thing running with as much horsepower as I can get with a naturally aspirated motor (without buying an LS7). I should say that I don't have a lot of money, so I want to make sure I get it the most economically friendly way possible. I understand that horsepower costs money, but that's just kinda where I am with things currently. I would also like to get at least a 5 speed manual tranny for it and to get rid of the air ride suspension (mainly because I think it has a leak... I aired it up once and it seemed to work... a few weeks later it was sitting on the ground again). I would appreciate any help I can get on where to find the parts I want, any ideas on how to mod the parts, such as port polishing or what not, and any just random thoughts on the project in total. Thanks!

I did replace the wheels promptly after buying it, the ones that were on the thing were god awful. Granted I replaced them with firebird wheels, I really like the style that those wheels have.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard,lots of good info to be had here.
Forget a GM 5 speed they're junk when it comes to holding up to much power.
You might keep an eye out for a wrecked 98-02 Z28 with an LS1 and 6 speed,that would be a nice swap and could potentially be had with a 6 speed.
There are kits available for the swap and headers made to fit etc.,lots of ***** and good gas mileage as well.

Last edited by Y2Keglide; 09-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.