New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Default New and overheating

Hi newbie here is search of some education and good people . Names Heather I recently purchased one of my dreams cars after a decent search. 2000 V6 black Camaro, black leather interior and t-tops. How ever my baby has been running hot. Hope to get some insight running out of things to look into. The car in mechanically awesome other the running way to hot. Currently Parked and sad

Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

has the cooling system been flushed and the thermostat changed yet? would be a good start. is the radiator full? are the radiator fans coming on?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM

Yes thank you It was flushed and new thermostat , radiator and heat core. The coolant is full I took it out today to monitor it. After about 10 minutes or less it runs hot middle line. At that point the antifreeze is boiling over the over fill tank. It really looks like it may be leaking, got to go back and look some more things over to hope that is what it is and where. The car runs great up to the overheat part. Just had my oil change etc. and everyone was pretty impressed . This is what leaves me clueless. Does not sound like a head etc. Oil is clean. idk. But I am in a mission. Long story short I am loosing a-lot of coolant. Also how often should the fan kick on with my car? That is what we are looking into also. How ever if we remove the theromastat is works fine. But the people I got it from said they just put a new one on. Any suggestions

Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you losing coolant from the overflow tank only? try bleeding the air out a few times. park car on an incline/hill with the front up. bigger the angle the better, i pull up on my ramps. let cool, take radiator cap off and fill if needed. open bleed valves if you have any and let go till only coolant comes out and close. start engine and let run, see if air bubbles come out or level lowers in the radiator. once it gets so warm it may start to overflow so before that put the radiator cap back on and run for a short time more and turn off. let cool and do again and again if needed.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

After bleeding the best you can, you might test the coolant with a exhaust kit as it checks for signs of exhaust gas. Any evidence found, bad head gasket.
Change both to be sure.

You can remove spark plugs and bring each cylinder to TDC with valves closed and pump in 50-60 lbs of air and check coolant for bubbles.
Obviously, no bubbles should be seen. If one cylinder shows bubbles, bad gasket.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 PM

I took it to a shop today to get some more insight the guy said bad head gasket.(He said smell gave it away) Not what I wanted to hear. Plus the people I got the car from has the wrong pressure cap on radiator was a 18 needs 16 and that is what is pushing it so hard out my overflow :/ We are planning to do it ourselves over the next week. I found a machine shop to take my heads into to have them checked as well.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:14 AM
4th Gear Member

Snowball Effect here - belts, hoses, fuel hoses included, spark plugs, lifters are optional - you're right there - new injectors are optional - easy enough for replacement, O2 sensor(s), air filter, any maintenance items you see.

Add a bottle of GM EOS to the oil as this will help lube the new lifters
Set lifters in a coffee can overnight and fill with oil so lifters will fill with oil.
then, smear EOS onto the lifter before inserting into block, add rest of EOS the engine.
Might even change oil. I know you changed it already, but its cheap.