New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New Member with a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Default New Member with a question

Greetings all, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new project but wanted to get opinions from the guys who are in the know.
I've been a Corvette guy my whole life, I know, nobody's perfect, and have restored several cars. But I know just enough to be dangerous on Camaros.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 67, Arizona car. Body is straight, literally no rust that I can find in the places I've read to look in. Car was painted approx. 15 years ago and still looks great. It was built in California and born with a V8. Not an SS or big block car. Looks like the owner's original plan was to make an SS clone. Owner is career military and has decided to let it go. Not original engine. I'd like to buy this car for my wife as she does not like to drive my vettes but loves the hobby. The car was made the month and year of her birth and Camaros are her fav. I have no illusions as to what it takes to build a car, but I think he wants a bit too much at 16K.
I'll post a couple pics. I would appreciate your insight.
Thanks!

Old 10-03-2020, 09:51 AM
4th Gear Member

Looks good and if 16K will buy a couple browny points - Go for it.
Nice Keystone Klassics.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:44 PM
4th Gear Member

If it's all there the price is in the ball park,you'd be looking closer to $30K for a solid rust free running driving survivor.
Good solid body 1st gen project cars are hard to come by,they almost all have rust issues.
Yes $16K is more than I'd want to pay but then again that's why I don't have one,try to find another and I doubt you'll do any better.
$10K will probably get you one that needs $10K worth of metal work.

Last edited by Y2Keglide; 10-03-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the imput guys. I'll let you know what happens!

Old 10-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Does he have ANY pictures of the paint process. Was the car stripped to metal? That paint can hide a lot of sins. When you get trained in body work one of the things they teach you is signs to look for trouble. One of the first things I was told. Beware any time someone changes a color of a paint job to White, Yellow or Orange. These are outward shining colors that hide body work. White being the best option when you need to hide stuff.

In 1982 I bought a 1972 Camaro for parts. I needed the windshield and the whole interior for my 74. I got it for $200 with no reverse and lots of rust. I was able to drive it home and I liked the little I6. I had the power glide out in an hour after an over the phone quote of $250 to rebuild if as a side job with left over parts a friend had. I welded in just enough scrap metal that the bondo would be less then 3/16" thick. I level the bondo with board sander and sprayed on a thick coat of high build vinyl. I leveled that. I then shot the car with single stage paint and a wagner power painter. I put the paint on thick then I did three wet sanding passes and buffed the crap out of it and added two black stripes. I got compliment on the paint job and was told the car was real straight. All my friends knew the truth. I say all that because it was the first thing I thought of when seeing the pic of that car, it looks identical only that car has more orange peel then my 72.

I drove it 3 years as my daily but did not have the heart to sell it to someone. I got the the interior for my 74 and sold the trans for $200 and scraped the body. I even kicked in the rear quarts incase the scrape yard try to sell. 3 years of daily driving for about $300--400. Honestly I spent more money in bondo high build primers and actual auto paint and other supplies then I did on any other one thing on the car.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-05-2020 at 04:13 PM.