New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New To Camaro Forums! Got a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Exclamation New To Camaro Forums! Got a few questions!

Hi all,
my name is Blake and I own an 84 Camaro with a 383 stroker motor bored out .60 over. I bought it from a buddy of mine who told me it needed a bigger radiator and I believed him. The car has a couple of problems and if you guys don't mind I'm going to go ahead and tell y'all so you guys can give me your opinions on what I should do. Of course the engine overheats and that is the main concern. The body originally had a v6 in it and the guy didn't even change the radiators out and as far as I know he didn't even upgrade the water pump. The engine has a Holley carb and edlebrok intake manifold. I was told the engine was brand new when he built it so I have no idea what else is aftermarket on the engine, but I do know it is a 383 Stroker and its bored .60 over. The engine runs just fine and idles smooth and has amazing amounts of power and will turn the tires like nothing. I know I may be an idiot for even driving it down the block knowing it has problems but I never overheated it. The Engine oil is milky gray and the radiator doesn't seem to loose any of its volume. Although I used to have some water come out of the exhaust but that stopped. I was told it might have a cracked block but there is no oil leaks and the engine runs and idles just fine? The engines throttle response is just fine. I'M doing 70% coolant and 30% water. Here are the things I have done to try and stop the overheating.. Oh and it will take about 30 minuets for the temp gauge to even get over the middle... once it gets there it slowly goes up. All test have been done with the Camaro sitting still not being driven due to not having and inspection or plates.

-Changed Milky Gray oil-----still milky gray with new oil put in.
-Flushed radiator to clear the gunk out.
-Tried many different ratios of coolant to water. (still no luck)
-Ran cooling engine with no stat just to see if that's the problem
-Put new stat in (still no luck)

The engine has an electric fan on the stock v6 radiator and it seems to work just fine. With that being said thanks for reading and this is exactly why i'm joining the Forums! I need some advice on what I should do!

Thanks, Blake!
I don't mean to put this all on my newbies welcome thing but I need answers now before I put it in a shop and spend a lot of money on something that may be simple...

Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 PM

welcome to the forum
________

Last edited by craby; 12-20-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spam
Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum Blake. I would suggest you put this in the 3rd gen tech section as you'll get more help there.

My main concern would be the milky oil, that could be a sign of a blown headgasket, which would also cause the engine to run hot. If there's nothing wrong, oil should look like oil when it's coming out of the engine during an oil change. It sucks, but sounds like you might need to tear down the engine to make sure everything is done right and check it out.