New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

my black omen.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default my black omen.

hello.my family know me as a car nut. my life is about cars. by the time i was 14, i could tell you every part in a engine and what it use was.
i work at a local sears auto in sales after i found out i can make better money at sales, then working on cars.
when i paid for my house , i look for one where the shop is bigger than the house and then had a bigger one built next to it.so to store my parts, so the native's wouldn't see any messy yard.
i don't like show cars or trailer queens! there for people that don't have a life. if i want to do a car show , then i drive the car there!
cars and trucks where made from the factory's to be drivin not towed!
some of the cars shows have been to are over 250 miles away but i still love the fun of driving something i built and was i made to DRIVE! even my 1986 mustang DRAG CAR is driven on street and highway every chance i can!
as you can tell, i say what on my mind . some times it good and some times people don't like to hear what i have to say, sorry but that the way it is.
my current list of toys is;
1987 camaro
1986 mustang hatch back
1982 mustang coupe
1984 mustang convert
1982 MERC CAPRI
1986 turbo bird
1987 lincoLn markVII
1995 F250HD SC
1994 CAPRICE W/LT-1
1988 C2500
1994 K2500
1982 merc zephyer villager wagon(woody)
1982 cougar XR7
1980 merc zephyr
PLUS all the part cars i keep in the bigger shop.
here is some of my toys and projects;

this is my story about my project 1987 camaro has been a bad omen.
from the minute I agreed to the swap A 1974 RANCHERO

for a 1987 camaro

. when I was talking to the derick about the swap, on a Sunday. I told him I have from noon Friday and all day Saturday off . my son was wanting to visit his mother in the same town. my plan was to pick up my son from school Friday 3 pm. drive the 3 hours (180 miles) to his mothers. drop him off then go the 15 or so miles to the camaro. swap cars. be back home by 10 pm or so. that was the plan Sunday.
Monday, I wake up to a lovely snowy day. Tuesday more snow, Wednesday, more snow. Thursday sunny! after work on Thursday, I better get out and load that trailer. shoot, I left the trailer out side the shop, Sunday. we had got close to 3ft OF SNOW in those 3 days.
so I had to dig down to get get to my car trailer. snow was up to the door handle of my shop and the bottom of the door is 9 inch's off the ground.
had to use dads 1994 4X4 chevy to pull my trailer out of my yard and to get it in the shop.
after we get trailer in shop. I back my 1995 4X2 ford TOW RIG up to it.. then we load the 74 ranchero. which did not run.
now it loaded. now try to get the tow rig and trailer back in to the shop because I was dumb and not wanting to use the come-along but use my dads 4x4 to pull it up, remember all that snow. it took as over 4 hours to get the ranchero loaded and back into the shop.
I call the derick about 9 pm Thursday to say, sorry with all that snow. i will not be traveling on Friday or Saturday but I can bring it Tuesday on my next day off.
Saturday night ,my son calls from his mother house to ask if we can haul to stuff back to great falls for our daughter. SHXT, now my nice 1 day travel. means I have to go to my former wife place to get my son. not good, when I planed to travel alone!
Monday morning, I drove my truck& trailer out of the big shop. so I could load up the rest of the parts for this swap. when I went to turn left . the ranchero was to far up on the trailer and the front bumper put a dent in my box just above the trail light. . so I move ranchero back on trailer.
I get the trailer park. move truck over to therapy shop to load the pallet that hold the C-4 and 87 EFI 302 into back of my truck. then I move truck back to trailer and I hit a pole in my yard. take out the passenger tail light and dent box. by that time ,I was late for my dads B-day party. after the party went back to loading all the parts in the ranchero that go with it.every thing loaded at midnight, so I get to bed.
6 am Tuesday I wake up a hour early. can't sleep, so I get ready. now I have hour to kill because the friend (witness) that going with me, not to be here until 7;45 am. we depart at 8.15 because friends late.
about 2 1/2 hours into out trip. I stop at a truck stop to take a break and try to wake up. when I get out of the truck. I smell some thing, not good. I find the driver rear drum in now dark black and smoking. call derick to say we are going to be 30 minutes late. after the drum cools , we depart. when I arrived at the place to swap projects. I went to unhook trailer, so we could unload engine and tranny first. I find that suppose to be empty C-4, had some how leaked tranny fluid all over back of the truck. not good, if you have to haul stuff back from former wife house.
after unloading the ranchero and loading this car. I split the crotch on my jeans and put a nice oil mark on shirt. ok now I need to get new close . after $37.00 for new jean and T-shirt . I look for car wash. I unload every thing put of the bed of the truck. I spend $10.00 washing all the ATF off and out of back of truck.
no sure just how much I will be hauling back. I put all my tools/stuff in and under camaro except trail/truck spare tires and milk crate full of tie down chains. that’s when I find out I forgot the milk crate of tie straps. I run across the street to pay $27.00 for tie down strap for the floor jack.
call son to say we are loaded and we will be there soon. after backing up over two blocks, up the road to get to my former wife house because there road is only as wide as a alley. not good to try and turn around a truck and car trailer on. I unhook the trailer and back up there drive way, so we can load what ever I'm hauling back. after loading a dinning room table and 6 chairs and two parts to hutch. I figure no way is my spares and milk crate of chains going to fit back there. so I go to the trailer and reload the floor jack to under the pallet and put truck spare on top of pallet , with gas can and milk crate of chains.. the trailer spare tire on the driver seat of camaro. when I arrived back to truck, to put tail gate back on I find they have fill the back of my truck with stuff. my topper is the only thing that keep them from loading more and it one of those HIGH back (above cab) toppers .
as we are leaving my friend look at me and ask , do you have hood for camaro?
no ?
he then asked ,do you have air cleaner for the camaro?
no, why?
because it look like a rain coming and I don't think you want water down that so called rebuilt small block engine.
so we stop at the same place we got tie down straps and paid $49.00 for there cheapest air cleaner. we finely leave town after being there for over 5 hrs. we get home 12 hrs from the time we left. I back striate into big shop and call it a night.
two days later, I unload all the stuff that came with the camaro. when I figured, I would take the car to the local car wash. as I pull out of the shop. the spare trailer tire some how got up (from laying flat) and broke the tail light off the trailer. now you know why I call this camaro the black omen.
normally, i just keep fords but for some reason i was thinking i needed a factory black T-TOP 1987 camaro. i guess because i remember from 1986 to 1988, i worked at a local chevy dealership, right out of collage and i was young and free. when it was slow at work. we would take the new cars and trucks and service them before putting them on the lot. that included a test drive. well about 10 miles from town the nice highway with a good S turn ,then about 1/4 mile down was 90* turn. good place to see how camaro handled and braked.

roy

Last edited by rancheronut; 05-09-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: where walldo
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, you see some of mine. I not here to trash yours -OK. i came here because it looks like a good place to be when you have a camaro. my camaro will never be a show car or FACTORY correct type.thats just not my style
you see the photos of the car as i got it. more will come as I play with my toy. I'm not sure what i'm planning to do with it. I'm still in the research mode but it a rust free T-TOP car. the p/o has pulled the factory 6 and manual tranny and tried to install a rebuilt 305 and turbo350. but I'm thinking SBC 400 with 5 speed would be better. but who knows yet.
po also pulled every thing from the engine compartment and painted it black and purple? he also pulled everything from under the dash. I'm not scared of what he has done because I have had done complete interiors & DRIVE TRAIN swaps on other cars before.
look forwards of reading more about yours, so I can get ideas for mine.

Last edited by rancheronut; 05-09-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: where waldo
Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome. You wouldn't happen to be from Saskatchewan would you?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no sure. i'm in the funny state of montana!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Ninja Administrator

welcome.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the Forum Roy.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum! and nice collection of rides you got there!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome. like the contents of your toy box.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by rancheronut
no sure. i'm in the funny state of montana!
Ya I saw that after my retarded post. I just saw one of the plates on your car kind of looked like a Canadian Saskatchewan plat from a distance.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, I hope you have better luck with the camaro from now on.

Quick Reply: my black omen.