New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hi,just got my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
bazkook
Default RE: Hi,just got my Camaro about a week or 2 ago

ORIGINAL: shnormo

Yeah it's in there and it is AMAZING!!! I can do a 2 wheel burn out!!! I got mine from Jegs and they matched Summit Racing's Price!
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
MSR-542050
Notice the part number.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=13525
109-542050
The main trailing numbers mean they are the same part. Call them, they'll do some research on their website and Summit Racing's and you will end up saving $35
I also went with Superior Axles to compliment everything and a Support Diff Cover. :-) 800 lbs of extra support on the carrier bearings.
Same part number. Summit just put it under a different "brand" I was able to get it for less.
ORIGINAL: bazkook

Have you put the Auburn unit in and if so is it any good? How much did you pay for it and where did you get it from? I'm probably going to get the Auburn unit from Jegs because it's the cheapest I've seen so far and I was just wondering if it was worth the money.
I was leaning toward the regular Auburn differential because it was much cheaper than the pro series. What's the big difference between the regular series and the pro series and if the pro series is better is it worth the money? I'm not real mechanic savvy so excuse me if the question is simpler than it seems. But just looking at the diagram of the two units they look identical. The electronically controlled unit seems pretty neat though. Both a locker and LSD in one unit. Also excuse this question too but what the are main differences in how an LSD and a locker operate?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10151

Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Hi,just got my Camaro

It's a 78 that's in need of a "little" work. Can't beat the price though:$550! The plans call for a SBC stroker engine. I'm not sure of the displacement yet but according to the engine builder it'll be at least 400 cubes with an estimated 580 horses,well over 700 on the juice. I'm going with a TH350 transmission and 3.90s. I've already ordered a Harwood lift-off fiberglass 4" cowl hood and black wrinkle finish dress-up kit. With the block painted orange and the dress-up kit it should look pretty awesome. Plan to paint the car white and black out the hood. Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Congrats. I have a question I am wanting to purchase a 1969 Camaro which will be my first. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for a rookie? I would very much appreciate any guidance.

Brian

Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 PM
bazkook
Default RE: Hi,just got my Camaro

ORIGINAL: Brian g.

It's a 78 that's in need of a "little" work. Can't beat the price though:$550! The plans call for a SBC stroker engine. I'm not sure of the displacement yet but according to the engine builder it'll be at least 400 cubes with an estimated 580 horses,well over 700 on the juice. I'm going with a TH350 transmission and 3.90s. I've already ordered a Harwood lift-off fiberglass 4" cowl hood and black wrinkle finish dress-up kit. With the block painted orange and the dress-up kit it should look pretty awesome. Plan to paint the car white and black out the hood. Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Congrats. I have a question I am wanting to purchase a 1969 Camaro which will be my first. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for a rookie? I would very much appreciate any guidance.

Brian
Thanks man. What exactly do you plan on doing with the Camaro once you purchase it? Daily driver,street/strip,or all out race car? Are you wanting to get a project car or one that doesn't need any work? I'm a rookie also so I really can't give you much help to begin with. Let us know what your plans are and maybe somebody can help you.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 AM

I'm going to keep the interior of the car the same color as in the photo. The car's mainly going to a street/strip car with more emphasis on the strip. I really don't need to spend much money on the interior.
BTW,the engine should be ready to pick up tomorrow morning. I was supposed to to pick it up today but the heads weren't fully assembled. Hopefully it'll be ready tomorrow though. I did get the fiberglass hood in today. It had some small scratches but that's to be expected when it's shipped I suppose. Here's some pics of the hood.

Thanks for your quick reply to my question. Sorry I left out so many important details.

I am wanting to purchase a 1969 Camaro with everything completed minus the engine and transmission. I would like to build my own motor and install a 6 speed manual transmission. I would like the interior to be completed, the suspension in good condition which will include new bushing and a great body, either painted or ready for paint.

I have a daily driver right now however I would like the Camaro to have the ability to drive everyday and drive to car shows that may be 5 + hours away. I plan on racing the car both on the 1/4 mile strip and on a road track. I may race about 10% of the time. I would like the car to be fairly bullet proof so I will have the piece of mind that my car can handle what I can dish out.

What else will you need to know? Thanks for your help, everybody. I am excited to make my dream a reality.

Brian

Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 AM
bazkook

As far as finding a 69 in the condition you want,it'll be pretty hard. If the interior and suspension and whatnot has been restored the previous owner would've probably restored the entire car which means you'll have to buy one with a engine and trans already in it. You may luck up. Just look on some different classifieds on the internet,newspaper,etc.
You're probably leaning more towards a pro touring car with the things you want to do. If you want to make your car fairly bulletproof try to find a Ford 9" rear end. They are supposed to be tough as hell from what I've heard about them. If you want to drive the car a lot on the street and out of town to car shows then an overdrive is a necessity,unless you want to spend most of the trips at the gas station. I would suggest a strongly rebuilt 700R4 because they're fairly cheap compared to a 4L80E or 4L60E and the 700R4 is probably a lot easier to install. But if you want to go an even cheaper route and don't really want an overdrive trans,then the TH400 is a great choice because they will handle all kinds of abuse.
It's hard to balance a car for a road track,the drag strip,a show car,and daily driving. A great handling 69 that can be driven daily would be possible but a road track car will not do as well on a drag strip and drag cars are usually not driven daily. And if you want to race it and drive it daily then you probably couldn't have a near perfect show car because wear and tear are inevitable. You see where I'm going with this? It would be best if you prioritized your goals and decide how you will use the car most of the time. I think you're attempting way too much for your first Camaro although it would be very sweet if you could pull all the things you mentioned off.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
bazkook

I finally got the motor back from the builder and it looks beautiful! All that's left to put on the engine are the headers,water pump,carb,and a few more parts. I was about to take some pics of it with my digital camera but it died. I'll post some pics of the engine and scan the cam card so you can see the specs on my cam.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 AM
bazkook

Well it seems like I've got some very bad news. After I'm through with the Camaro,I have to sell it due to some situations that arose. It was fun while it lasted though. Maybe I'll get to enjoy the car for a while until I sell it.