New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hi,just got my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
bazkook
Default Hi,just got my Camaro

It's a 78 that's in need of a "little" work. Can't beat the price though:$550! The plans call for a SBC stroker engine. I'm not sure of the displacement yet but according to the engine builder it'll be at least 400 cubes with an estimated 580 horses,well over 700 on the juice. I'm going with a TH350 transmission and 3.90s. I've already ordered a Harwood lift-off fiberglass 4" cowl hood and black wrinkle finish dress-up kit. With the block painted orange and the dress-up kit it should look pretty awesome. Plan to paint the car white and black out the hood. Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM
January 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Hi,just got my Camaro about a week or 2 ago

Hey Baz thx for registering with us and welcome to the forums !!!

Be sure to post those pics when you get the chance.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sweet, I got a 79. You should post some pics. Maybe start a cardomain.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 PM
bazkook

Here's the car. Looks a little rough but with some time,love,patience,and of course money,it'll look great! Suprisingly the interior is in pretty good shape. I'm probably going to replace the stock gauges with either Autometer or Equus(heck of a lot cheaper and look fine) gauges. Should I get a new panel or will the aftermarket gauges fit into the factory panel? If they fit then I really only need a new speedo(preferably a 160mph),battery and fuel level gauge. I already have a temp and oil pressure gauge in the car and a tach that I plan on using. I hate to get a whole new panel if the aftermarket gauges will fit fine.Anyway what do ya'll think?

Here's the dress-up kit. I think it'll look awesome with the engine block painted orange.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM

are you going to keep the interior orange and black?
im havin the same problem with the gauges on my 79 and I believe that the after market gauges will fit. If youre changing the color of the interior you might want to change the dash.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 PM
bazkook

I'm going to keep the interior of the car the same color as in the photo. The car's mainly going to a street/strip car with more emphasis on the strip. I really don't need to spend much money on the interior.
BTW,the engine should be ready to pick up tomorrow morning. I was supposed to to pick it up today but the heads weren't fully assembled. Hopefully it'll be ready tomorrow though. I did get the fiberglass hood in today. It had some small scratches but that's to be expected when it's shipped I suppose. Here's some pics of the hood.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

Looks like You're off to a good start. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well looks like you're making more progress than me. I don't want to be too picky, but that looks like a 78 Dash. 79-81 the guage bezel was squared off. Your car is in better condition than how i bought my car. I like your hood and the dress up kit. I am going to go with a similar set up with the dress up kit, just the valve cover and timing chain cover.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 AM
bazkook

Thanks for all the compliments guys! It seems like I hit another bump. I said earlier that the engine was supposed to be picked up today but the engine builder ordered a solid cam instead of a hydraulic roller. It'll be next week before it's available for pickup.
shnormo,how much worse was your 79 than mine? What all do you plan to do with yours? What color will the dress up kit be? Post some pics of the car if you can.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

http://www.cardomain.com/id/shnormo05

Lol I bought mine just the shell. It's going to be a 383 stroker. High performance street machine lol. Made for the track but rules the street. I had to make my own guage bezel because I couldn't find one that would hold after market gauges. The dress up kit is the same kind of krinkle finish, but I changed the black to a graphite color.