New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hey everyone

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Default Hey everyone

Howdy everyone, I'm new to the forums.
I see you guys like intros, so here I am.
I currently do not own a Camaro but I do like them and am currently looking to buy one.
You'll see me posting very noobie questions about things, I mean, I've got a boat load!
So if you guys don't mind me, I'd like to become pros like you, I just need some patience.

If I may post my first question here, here it is:

I am currently looking into buying a 2000 z28 Camaro through Craigslist.
The car is bone stock except that the transmission has been "geared low" to give more "bottom end torque" (whatever that means.)
Anywho, I want to know what engine the Camaro has, be it an LS1 or an LT1, so I asked this person. She replied that she doesn't know which it is. So I need to find out how to tell what engine this Camaro has, please.
She also tells me that when she bought it from the dealer that the car had a Vortech(sp?) engine. I nor her know what that means, so if you guys could help me out with those 2 questions, I'd be really happy.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the wall of text.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

2000 should be a ss and should have a ls1. i dont think the owner know what she has. so is there pictures? is it a auto trans? im thinkin it has lower gears in the rearend. keep reading and learning and ull get there. lol welcome to the forum.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Hey craby thanks for the reply.
I don't think it's an SS, it's Auto trans.
I'll shoot you the Craigslist Ad and you can take a look at it if you want.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...557734620.html

Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like a good deal. have it checked out at a shop see if its got any stored trouble codes. if so see what they are. if it checks out its a good deal.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

if its a 2000 z28 it should have a ls1

Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM

It does sound like a pretty good deal, I'm going to try to knock them down a bit since I am a college student and the tires and rotors basically need replacing completely.
Many people have been telling me to get it checked out, but I don't know how to go about doing that, should I just take it to any mechanic and tell them to check it, or how does that work?

Also any idea how I can tell the engine is an LS1? Should it tell me anywhere? Because she told me it was a Vortec.. I don't know what that is, but can you have an LS1 and a Vortec at the same time?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

if its a z28 then its an ls1 the 97-02 ss and z28 camaros had ls1 and i would say if you know and trust a mechanic have them take a look or you can take it to a reputable shop or your local chevy dealer btw tires and rotors can get expensive maybe you can just get the rotors turned depending on their condition and as far as the vortec thing im pretty sure there is no vortec v8 for the camaro unless she meant a supercharger

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

I see. Well we do have a mechanic friend but his shop is about half an hour away, lets hope she doesn't mind. I bet tires and rotors can be expensive, she tells me I should turn them but I might as well jut get them replaced, maybe?
She told me when she went to the mechanic at the dealership that he told her it was a Vortec, and she said it doesn't have a supercharger, but I asked for more pictures.
But maybe it's wrong information on the mechanics part.

Thanks for the info though wicked, I gotta try to find a day I can go check this puppy out and get it checked by a mechanic.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

well i think the v6s may have had a vortec but i could be mistaken and when you go take some pics

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Well that's what I'm afraid of is that the engine is swapped or something, which is why I asked how I could know that the engine was an LS1, is there any way to tell?
Also why do I need to take pics?