New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Gettin' back in the game

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Default Gettin' back in the game

Hello to all,

Just thought I'd share my story so far since I'm attempting a "rebirth" of my 'maro. I've always been a camaro fan since my dad brought home a 81 1/2 (or whatever they were called) z28 when I was little. That car got sold but as I was approaching 16 I started searching for one of my own. A family friend had a '79 in pieces in his garage that we asked about a few times but he never wanted to sell, so I kept looking without much luck. Luckily for me he changed his mind and we got it for $500.

After trailering it home I washed it and it was so dusty we always thought it was a gold color but that was just the dust, it was actually dark brown, between the color and being a '79 without the spoiler it was the ugliest camaro I'd ever seen, and I LOVED it. So we got it put together with it's newly rebuilt motor and that's when the problems started.

The first day of driving it a ground went bad and i shattered a u-joint. It started as a perfectly straight car except the nose but within weeks a deer kamikazed my fender/door, I was backed into, and my windshield got cracked. Then the water pump blew on the way to school (a remanned one), and my brakes went out in the rain. I knew glitches would come up with anything that had sat for that long but I was still convinced the car was cursed.

Eventually it's driving time was phased out and i drove my mazda most of the time. I kept running into so many electrical gremlins that finally some time after graduation I went to start it and the starter didn't want to turn fast enough I got fed up and walked away from it and fell out of love with it, something that should never happen with someone's first car.

Over the years I've had a few offers come close to what it would take for me to let go, but It continues to sit at my parents house.something happened within the last week and now I'm crawling back just hoping she'll accept me back.

I'll get pics up later but I'm at work now, progress on the car will be slow, being the broke 21 year old college student that I am, but I'll probably check in quite a bit as I get things done, sorry for the lengthy post but for the first time in years I'm excited about my camaro again so I figured I'd give the backstory.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, post some pics of the car. I'm sure she'll take you back, she's got to want to be on the road.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the Forum!!!