New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

First time for alot of stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Default First time for alot of stuff.

First time for just about everything, except for driving, heh.

I drive a 98 Buick Regal LS... well drove. It only had 40k miles on it, and it ran really well, and I assumed it was going to take me through college til I could get something more for me when I got a job. Buuut some drunk driver had other plans. It was parked outside my house and he rammed into it, totaling it.

I dont know much about the situation since they cant get any work done because he's still in jail. But the adjuster told me the car's value was less than the cost of repair. They said the value was around 6,087.94. Im guessing Im gonna be getting a check from em soon.

Sooo I need a car. At first I thought I was just gonna get some economical car to last me a few years and be easy on the gas consumption. But what the hey. Im already only getting 18/24 mpg.

I've always wanted a camaro since highschool. I just always sorta assumed Id never get one because I was gonna move straight from this buick to something more economical when I got a career. Well, Im in my third year of college, and I am betting that Ill be in the market for a new vehicle in about 3-5 years. So it doesnt have to last me too long. I figured why not look for a camaro now? It's always something I've wanted, and I really really like the look of a Camaro, so why not.

Anyways, I haven't read up much on camaros. I dont know what to expect at all. I've been watching craigslist and it seems like I can get quite a few and put a bit of that 6k back into my pocket. I saw one listing http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/365788279.html
and it seemed like something I could swing for. Just didnt know how long a car with 171k miles would last me.

So I come here seeking advice, and I have a few questions:
1) Is a camaro for me, considering the stuff from above? I don't have a whole lot of experience with cars. My dad is pretty knowledgeable, but is by no means a mechanic.
2) What should I look for when shopping for one?
3) Generally, how many miles can I get out of a camaro?
4) Is a camaro a reliable vehicle? I mean, I dont know alot about cars, but I'm not a dumbass when it comes to taking care of one... (except for parking on the damn street instead of in the driveway...)

Anything else you think I should consider, please, by all means, share with me.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First time for alot of stuff.

Well yes sir a camaro is for you. I love camaros. And yes they are really reliable. You usually dont have a lot of trouble out of them. When trouble does occur its usually something minor...nothing disasterouse. The engines last a while...that one is getting old but itl still prolly last you a while.....although im not a fan of the phrase "cosmetic problems". Ok now as for shopping.Make sure you knowthe history of the car.Also get one that looks nice and runs good...its not a rare car soyou can find them good for cheap. Do your research and dont get ripped off.In fact you should look at a few. Just so you know what price you should be looking for. Also just as any other car...do not under any circumstances tell the owner that you like the car a lot. Thats a bigno no of shopping lol. Dont give away your intentions...and you can usually get them to lower the price just a little. I hope I was of some help...and o yeah...welcome.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Sounds good. 171k is alot of miles, I just really liked the price. Problem is, he's in Dallas and Im in Houston. Itd be quite a bit of a drive to get there.

Is it unreasonable to look for a camaro with only 1 owner? Or is that what I should shoot for?

And yeah, I'd definitely take my dad with me. He's incredible at wheeling and dealing. I need to try and learn more from him, haha.

Anyways, yeah, I plan on looking through craigslist alot, Im just not sure what other venues to approach. Also, should I avoid dealers or should I actually focus on them? I dont know how much I trust used car dealers.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Well i dont trust them. I personally like private owners. mainly b/c they usually tell you more than a dealer and they sell cheaper. That is a lot of miles...i have heard of some getting over 200k...but to tell you the truth i wouldnt go for that one. I wouldnt drive that far to look at it either....cause something just gives me the feeling that its been taken care of. it says cosmetic problems....you have no idea how bad they are without looking at it, and they usually consist of cracks....holes in seats....burn holes...stuff like that. Which indicates a disrespectful owner that prolly didnt really care what he did to it. Which also means it couldve been hot rodded a lot....which means there is a greater chance of major problems....especiallyon an engine with a lot of miles. I would look around a little more. Im sure you can find one closer. Also try www.autotrader.com and www.autoworld.com . If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If i dont kno im sure these other guys do.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM

OK, thanks again for the help.

I can tell I'm going to be looking at cars all night. Just something I do. Obsess over finding the perfect deal/car/whatever it is Im shopping for.

Autotrader seems to be a decent site. My very first car, a 96 Explorer was manual transmission. A whole lot of me is wanting to go back to that, but apparantly a LOT of preowned camaros are automatic transmission. There is one listing on Autotrader that interests me. But anywho, I could sit here all day pasting offerings. Im going to get some sleep and sit on this more. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Doesnt look bad...but unless its close to you i wouldnt give it a lot of thought without interior pics...maybe e-mail the guy

Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

For $1600, buy it. Get pic's of the interior, it can't be that bad, if you drive it for a little bit and don't like it, throw it on ebay or the local paper and sell it for almost double. Welcome to the forum also.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

I wasnt sure if I should just try a new topic in the appropriate forum, or come back here. But one was a more general question so I thought Id ask it here.

Im guessing (this is a pure guess. I dont know a whole lot about older cars) that for older vehicles, most will be a 4 speed car, correct? If not, should I look for something with an overdrive so it'd be better on the highway? (I think I was told that the fifth gear didnt really offer any more power, it was just for highway usage).

Anyways, I was looking at this listing and he didnt list a price. I dont really know what to ask for it. Now, if for some reason he literally meant 100 miles and not 100k, Im thinking Im in over my head on pricing, but if not, could I expect to ask around 5000 for the car?

What do you guys think?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

offer 4k.....just see what he says. Cant hurt

Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Any news man?

Quick Reply: First time for alot of stuff.