New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

close call

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default close call

I haven't had my Z28 for very long (1995, LT1, stock). I've goosed it some and have gotten the feel of it, but something gave me a scary surprise today. My mom wanted to go for a ride in it. I drove it around for about 10 or so minutes to let it warm up, then was going to goose it a little. I turned onto a smooth road and started going up a slight hill. I didn't spin the tires but gradually gave it just about full throttle. The road curved just a tad bit. Around this time, it was at pretty high RPM and suddenly shifted into 2nd (automatic). When it did, it jerked into it (partly because it was on an incline I guess) and the wheels spun slightly. Well, it started doing some of the those quick jerky little fishtails (not actually fish tails, but a slight loss of traction, then a regain of traction with a slight osillation right after). There was a car coming in the other lane. I let off the gas and it quickly regained traction and never actually left my lane, but CRAP. It really scared the **** out of me. Plus, my FREAKING mom was with me!!! I'M A HORSE'S PATOOT. Just when you think you know, something slaps you in the face and tells you you don't.

I'm happy I'm alive and everything, but DAMN I wish my mom hadn't been with me. If you want to reply and tell me I'm an idiot, I think you'd be well within reason.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Dominos Puck
Default RE: close call

Okay, I just wanted to reply and tell myself I'm an idiot

Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear member

lol dont beat yourself up about it. Thing happen at least you or your mom didnt get hurt or you didnt mess up your car....sounds likea good save by the way.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 PM
January 2007 ROTM

Was the road wet by chance ????????

I know that sounds like a crazy question but being that the car is rear wheel drive .... the power is going straight to your back wheels which causes the traction ( warning light ) to come on , while driving on wet pavement or possibly going arcross a pot hole or even hitting something on the road .... just enough for the system ( computer ) to send up the warning signal. Trust me on some surfaces it doesn't take much to loose some traction from your rear wheels.

Somehow you lost traction on the rear wheels to cause the care to start jerking in order to gain the traction back to the tires.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Dominos Puck

The road wasn't wet, but my mom brought up an interesting thought.This car was owned by an old guy who collected cars. It's a 1995, but only has 25000 miles on it. While the tires have plenty of tread and look pretty new and unused, would it be possible that they've hardened in some way while being stored? I remember I test drove a z28 before I bought this one (which was when I got hooked) and it just jerked my head and went. The one I have now seems like it spins a lot more.