New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Another New Member, Just a little weird.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Default Another New Member, Just a little weird.

good evening, camaro dudes.
first off, i don't own a camaro, and probably won't for a great deal of time. someday i'll build a killer pro-street '78 but in the meantime i'm trying to build the ultimate sleeper.
now there's something wrong with me, i've decided to build an L67 3.8 supercharged minivan, with aims of dropping into the 13's, blowing away mustangs.

with a fiberglass body and a NA 3.8 in there already the Van is actually a pretty good canidate for such projects, added to that the dustbuster shape is suprisingly areodynamic. i can't wait until this is done.

hauling back down from 90 however is a nerve-racking situation even with the stock brakes (exact same as '93-'97 Z-28 camaro)
so i'm hoping to pick your brains and dig up some good braking upgrade info.

i'll be lurking...

Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Another New Member, Just a little weird.

SSBC has really good brakes for a decent price. I got that on my 79 Camaro. They also have a lot of newer models avalible. As far as supercharging, I think it would be more efficient for that car to have a turbo. Where your exhaust manifolds y into one, that would be an ideal place to weld in the mount for the turbo.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Another New Member, Just a little weird.

well, shnormo, yes and no. turbos are generally amore efficient way of producing power, and the turbo 3.8's have been dyno'd as high as 660 hp, but the van's small engine bay does not leave us with a readly availible space for a turbo. aside from that the FWD manifolds don't actually meet in a Y. rather the front manifold crosses over the transmission and connects into the end of the rear manifold. then the downpipe comes out of the middle of that manifold.

granted i would love a sick turbo van, really stick it to the chrystler turbovan guys... but the supercharger is , in my case, a very practical and economical option. being that the supercharged 3.8 is a complete factory unit found in the grand prix, monte carlo, bonneville, and regal. even the new "impalas" (should've called them luminas) have this stout little motor.

as much as i would love to turbocharge i beleive bolting in a complete supercharged motor that was designed that way would be cheapest and simplest.

thanks for the tip on the SSBC's