New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

aintifreez leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default aintifreez leak

I just got my 96 camaro with a v6a couple days ago. It runs awsome. Its been pretty cold up here in Wisonconsin, and i was driving home when my temp gauage kept climbing until the check engine light came on. I quickly shut it down and got a ride home. Next day when I came back there was a big puddle off antifreez under the car and when we opened the radiator cap it was slushy and full off crap. I hear its a common problem to have rust in the radiator. But now i have a leak some where. I jacked the car up and poured water in to see where it was coming out, and it looked like it was around the water pump, but didnt look like it was the water pump. Are there any frost plugs behind the harmonic blancer? Or could it be a seal around the water pump or somthing. Im not that great off mechanic, so icould use all the help i can get. I think im going to pull off the harmonic balancer and see if i can see where its leaking.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: aintifreez leak

When the coolant gets slushy it means that you did not put in enough antifreeze, and it is gettin ready to freeze solid. When this happens the coolant cannot circulate and the car overheats. Water pumps usually fail around the shaft seal, so that is where it is probably leaking. The only thing behind the balancer is the front cover and there are no freeze plugs there.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I pulled the water pump off and the seal seemed to be fine. Where would it be leaking then?Is the shaft seal just the big gasket that the water pump is tightened too? Trying to learn all i can, thanks

Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Droid

Usually leaks occur around the shaft, but only when the coolant is still under pressure. Unless they are totally shot, they don't leak while the engine is running becuse of the slinger grooves on the shaft where the seal is. As soon as the shaft stops spinning and the sytem is still pressurized, coolant starts to ooze out around the shaft. The shaft seal is not easily replaced and is by the shaft bearing. You were looking at the water pump gasket that seals the pump to the block. There is a weep hole underneth the shaft, if you see signs of coolant coming out, then the seal is worn out.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well i got a new water pump gasket, and put the old pump back on, i dont think its leaking. Do you know how much antifreez the system holds? We can fill the radiator with water now and there are no leaks with the engine off. I bought the strait antifeez, not the 50/50 mix. Since there is water in the system from flushing it. I guess i just need to know how much the system holds, and then i can find out how much water is still in there when i dump theantifreez in. Thanks