New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

67 camaro restore disaster

Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Default 67 camaro restore disaster

Hello everyone I'm new here and seeking help or guidance. I'm 23 decent mechanic but really don't know anything about camaros. I'm a Subaru guy. Either way. My boss has a 67 rs convertible. Basically we're restoring it but it is just such a huge mess. The car is on jack stands, body work and paint was done, no interior, nothing in the dash, engine is in with various components attached, no wiring in.

There is a lot of work to do.

Essentially I'm just overwhelmed with the project because my boss is like so scatter brained, he is buying thousands of dollars in new parts to build this car but stuff is literally everywhere. I hardly know where to start, I don't know where to find stuff. It feels like nothing is organized at all and it just feels very improper unfortunately.

I guess I'm seeking tips and or maybe a little bit of a guide to get this thing organized with a better game plan.

He's also paying me only 10 dollars an hour to work on it which I think is not very fare cause a real builder would never work for rates like that. I've probably already put 40 hours into it but man where they very frustrating.

Let me know what you guys think. Please give me some input to get this straightened out and organized.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Andrew, to the Club.
Nice project and good luck in keeping the owner on a straight line.

If me,
Replace those rubber front suspension items if not done already.
Then rear spring eye bushings.
Lay in wire harness, then inst cluster.
Then finish dash, add those items, i.e., speakers, radio antenna cable, ensure seat bolt holes are accessible, lay in carpet. Do all interior work before carpet laying - keeps carpet clean.
Somewhere, test power top as is and make repairs.
Check piston rods for rust spots and emery paper the rod or replace cylinders.
Change top pump oil and bleed the system as you can bleed better with cylinders in hand than installed.
One item I would work toward, since body is on jack stands, get the drvr door in place and adjust both door wedges for an even door gaps as a convertible body is 'supported' by the rocker panels only, there is no permanent roof for structural support of body.
Then outside steel metal, aka, front fender, and the like.
This assumes all other sheet metal is good and painted.

Both of you might make a list either on an easel with paper pad or chalkboard, of items, systems, and/or circuits left to do. This way both can decide what jobs/systems need to be done first and then cross them off.
Also, a good place to write down problems arising in completion.
Good luck

Use plenty of antiseize on bolts and threads for later in life. Steel rusts.
Closed doors with properly adjusted wedges in door jams keeps a 'vert body straight.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The best way to avoid this type of mess is to never let it happen. Since you have been handed a mess with no organization you should drop your wrench and pick up some paper.

At the top of every page write down an area or a mechanical system.
Examaple:
Engine:
What do I have?
What appears to be missing?
Try to go into detail but know you cannot see everything in the first pass.

Next might be:
Front end:
What do I have?
What appears to be missing?

People think differently so you will need to decide how you break the car down. Like will you say Brake system or will that be part of the axle. As a mechanic I would think you would do it per system cause that is how I would do it.
Breaking down large tasks in to bit sizes jobs is the only way to do a project like this. The size of the bit will be up to you. I think in this mess you will need to include and inventory. You don’t have to define the whole car in one or two sittings, you can move to turning wrenches once you a few major project systems laid out. I find it easiest to create a list of short term goals on a pc of cardboard and cross them off as I go. Once one list is done move to the next list.

Gather pictures in one place can help. When I did the wiring in my 93 I bought disassembled I went through the manual and found every drawing I could find of the engine bay and print them out like a poster.

Your wages are up to you. How fun is it for you? I did the race car thing (not mine) for 3 years and was never paid a penny. Your area and your situation and how much you see this as work should dictate if you want to do it. This is a huge commitment that could be a 600 hours for one guy and that assume all the parts go together.

You work for this guy in your normal job? Then he wants you to work on his private project for less money? If so he is a moron, he is putting himself in a very actionable position. Meaning after all was said and done you could go after him in court and say he pressured you to do the work cheaply so you can keep your job, if the Judge agreed you would not only be paid at your full rate it may be all overtime. I am not a lawyer but I have sat through management classes that explain employee employer relationships. Just be sure to document your hours on the days you work.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-31-2017 at 07:19 AM.