LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

z28, some problems, need advice, thankyou

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default z28, some problems, need advice, thankyou

after i got my headers put on i noticed white smoke when i start up my car. My voltage drops when ive stoped at a light, but when in park its fine. Also all light dim when im not moving. Battery tested fine, new alternator,tested bad though,when i get my replacement should i get 140 or 200?. My speedometer also goes crazy at times. I have no clue whats going on.
Next part, whats next for my car?(after my voltage gets fixed) underdrive or overdrive pulley? 373s? cai? airfoil? finish exhaust with muffler, or do an electronic exhaust cutout? tuning? there is so many ways togo and all of them seem great, but with limited cash, but steady income, its hard to decide.
Please put your two cents in, its greatly appreciated.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

maf,tb bypass, ac delco opti, accel 300+ ignition, new water pump, accel plugs n wires, tuff stuff 200 amp alternator, k&n filter, 160therm, pacesetter longtubes, custom y pipe, no cats, new springs, and new tie rod(dont ask)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Droid

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Whoever put in your headers probably caused it. The smoke trail will lead you to it, unless the whole things goes up in flames first.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Whoever put in your headers probably caused it. The smoke trail will lead you to it, unless the whole things goes up in flames first.

it's tought to get old and do this from memory

lemme see

ground wire on the drivers side that could have been broken. It's in the back of the engine bay.

Another place to look is if you loosened or removed the alternator when you installed the long tubes. Follow those wires too.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 10-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok.,thankyou.ne ideas on what to upgrade next?and I hope you were joking about my car starting on fire.kind of nerve racking

Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by bobshannon22
and I hope you were joking about my car starting on fire.kind of nerve racking
I think it's because you said you see white smoke when you start the car, and then talked about having electrical problems. You didn't say where the smoke was coming from. Since you started with the headers comment, I instantly figured you were talking about smoke from the exhaust. But I have a feeling an electrical short (with smoke) is what came to others minds.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

your 69 is bad ***, but its coming from my exhaust, not from the elctrical stuff. i think its two dif problems. the smoke started(exhaust only) when i got my headers put in

Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is it smoke or steam? is it doin it all the time? new exhaust will sweat and when you start it the water burns off. need to check the exhaust from the motor back to make sure you dont have any wires grounding to it. sure sounds like something is grounding somewhere. did you take it in the have the charging system checked, have them do a system draw test to see if there is a short.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im doing that on monday, electrical stuff first, then to exhaust shop. im not forsure, it dosnt smoke too much, ill go investigate after the car has set for a while. and whats you opinion on doing straight pipes off the headers, i dont know the automotive terms, but i was wondering about no cats and no muffler, and no y pipe. just straight pipes out the back.3in all the way

Old 10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

straight pipes sound good for about 20 minutes. then you wonder wth you were thinking. the ground clearance on these cars is minimal at best with the exhaust tucked in where its supposed to go, if you start hangin pipes down then you will have problems in the parking lots and end up ripping them up/off on something.

Quick Reply: z28, some problems, need advice, thankyou