LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

winter?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default winter?!?

just wondering what would be the best/easiest way to run my '94 z28 in the winter. i live in chicago and snow isnt too much of a problem except for maybe a month and a half or so when it blizzards. i know camaros get real squirrely in the rain/snow, so what could i do to gain more traction in the snow? i wouldnt drive it in the winter unless i absolutely have to, but its my only car and need to drive 60+ miles on the highway everyday.

i thought about buying snow tires but im not sure i can afford them, would a couple hundred lbs of sandbags be my best bet?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Best bet is get a Wintertime beater to drive.

I like studded tires but a lot of places they aren't legal like they are here in WA.
I don't drive my Camaro when it gets slick out,no way.
Even if you do get around someone else might hit you,just not worth it.

If you can't buy snow tires and you have to drive it I'd suggest getting chains and knowing how to use them properly.
If studded tires are legal look for some used ones on craigslist.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

studded tires are legal, but chains arent. but yeah i cant really afford the $400 for a set of studded snow tires, nor can i afford a beater for winter ...would sandbags in the trunk help? or any other alternatives?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Sandbags in the back will help, but a good set of dedicated snow tires/wheels will be much better. They don't necessarily have to be studded, check out the prices on some used Bridgestone Blizzacks, that's what I run on my Subi during the winter.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For slick winter driving in a rear wheel drive car, a good rule of thumb is more weight in the back and less weight on the gas pedal.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I reluctantly drive my Camaro in the snow and ice from time to time. I’ll piggy-back off of the previous posts and say that the most important things are good winter tires and extra weight in the back (i.e. sandbags). Although, I think the best advice is to avoid driving a Camaro in snow and ice if you can avoid it and befriending someone with 4-wheel drive instead. My other recommendations are below.

- 180 thermostat instead of a 160 so your car can heat up a little faster when it is cold.
- Ice scraper
- Full synthetic motor oil beginning with 5W
- 50/50 anti-freeze mix as opposed to using mostly or all water
- Good windshield wipers
- Full tank of windshield wiper fluid
- Jumper cables
- Fully charged car battery
- Snow shovel in the back seat - only if the snow gets deep
- A completed will

Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Exacto
I reluctantly drive my Camaro in the snow and ice from time to time. I’ll piggy-back off of the previous posts and say that the most important things are good winter tires and extra weight in the back (i.e. sandbags). Although, I think the best advice is to avoid driving a Camaro in snow and ice if you can avoid it and befriending someone with 4-wheel drive instead. My other recommendations are below.

- 180 thermostat instead of a 160 so your car can heat up a little faster when it is cold.
- Ice scraper
- Full synthetic motor oil beginning with 5W
- 50/50 anti-freeze mix as opposed to using mostly or all water
- Good windshield wipers
- Full tank of windshield wiper fluid
- Jumper cables
- Fully charged car battery
- Snow shovel in the back seat - only if the snow gets deep
- A completed will
lol check all except the will how much weight would be good enough to add in the back?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Good question. I’m not sure how much weight would be best. I filled a 16 by 19 inch crate with rocks and put that in the back. I used rocks because I’ve procrastinated on buying sandbags. A small person would probably work well too. As for the weight, I think you should put as much weight back there as possible. Just make sure you have sufficient clearance between the top of the rear wheels and the wheel wells, as well as between the tailpipes and the ground. And yes, the fifth sentence was a joke. I don’t recommend stuffing people back there unless you have more important people in all of the other seats.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear member

Dedicates snow tires on the back, and about 150 pounds in the trunk will do it. It's worked for me living in lake michigans snow belt. :P

Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

So i just threw sandbags in the back. We're supposed to get 6 inches tues night/wed morning and I'm supposed to drive to work and back in it. I've got three 60lb sandbags, 1 over each rear wheel and one in the bottom of the trunk. Should that be enough? Really sad I can't afford even 2 snow tires for the back but hopefully this will get me through the next 3 or 4 months with a prayer and extremely careful driving.

Just one mroe question now: since that added weight over the wheels will be there for the next say 4 months, is there any side effects I should be aware of? Like am I gonna need new brakes back there since they'll have to work harder and will there be any noticeable damage to my suspension after all that?

This is my first winter with the maro so I wanna have all the bases covered .

Quick Reply: winter?!?