LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

what do i say to the muffler peole

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what do i say to the muffler peole

yes im followin although picture form for me would be more helpfull.
if i could see it i can figure it out alot better
the cats are inside the y? hooker and all those dont pass emisions, or at least all ive seen say for off road use only.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok, so for the Y, you would have to find one that is not "off road" you you would have to get an "off road" one modified to have cats in it. I drew you up a quicky paint demonstration...
Yellow=headers/collectors
Blue=Y pipe
Red=cats
Green=cat back exhaust/stock system

[IMG]local://upfiles/4600/72EB1C6C4A9344279860253D3AEEF6DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-12-2007, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

so the y goes that way! aha!
okay but wat about the two pipes?
and do i get the muffler shop people to add the cats n the ypipe?
how do you all get past emiisions with yer exhausts?
thanks slvr for the help

Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
2nd Gear member

I have a 97 z with edelbrock headers and a custom 3in exhaust w/ no cats. I didnt put it on but it fits just fine, and sounds hella good. I got a long weekend coming up so maybe ill load up a vid. About emissions, i live in NE so no one gives a flying f*** about what their car is spewing out so no one bothers to test it.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes, Kyleb, the crappy stock Y goes away, but the two pipe do eventually Y together again. Anyway, as for emissions, your cats will work best if they come straight off the collector of the header, they have to be hot enough to function correctly, so if you're getting a Y custom fabricated, they should be able to do that for you, but make sure you invest in some good high-flow cats(magnaflow or random tech). My headers have all the emissions hookups on them(A.I.R. and EGR), and I'm running through two magnaflow cats, so if I don't pass emssions this year I'm gonna be pissed(I have to find one of these emissions vans we have here in colorado, all you do is drive by it, it snaps a pic of your plate, and if you pass, no other testing needed!). Theoretically, if you have the emissions hookups and the cats, you should pass emissions(providing your car is running right, but not to worry, my car passed emissions with the stock exhaust and one cylinder not firing at all). I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the "two pipes," could you rephrase that a bit for me...(and no prob for the help, you would not believe how long I spend researching this, and all that research is the reason I have the Kooks setup)

Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Yes, Kyleb, the crappy stock Y goes away, but the two pipe do eventually Y together again. Anyway, as for emissions, your cats will work best if they come straight off the collector of the header, they have to be hot enough to function correctly, so if you're getting a Y custom fabricated, they should be able to do that for you, but make sure you invest in some good high-flow cats(magnaflow or random tech). My headers have all the emissions hookups on them(A.I.R. and EGR), and I'm running through two magnaflow cats, so if I don't pass emssions this year I'm gonna be pissed(I have to find one of these emissions vans we have here in colorado, all you do is drive by it, it snaps a pic of your plate, and if you pass, no other testing needed!). Theoretically, if you have the emissions hookups and the cats, you should pass emissions(providing your car is running right, but not to worry, my car passed emissions with the stock exhaust and one cylinder not firing at all). I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the "two pipes," could you rephrase that a bit for me...(and no prob for the help, you would not believe how long I spend researching this, and all that research is the reason I have the Kooks setup)
in your awesome drawing you did for meit shows after the y theres only one pipe going to the muffler, i thought there was 2. the green where it say cat back, but i jusat looked at it again and noticed it say stock . i know how the stock looks i wanted to know how a dual exhaust would look.
i realy apriciate your patience with me! i just need to understand the whole exhaust thing and when i go to get the exhaust on i want to make sure i know what im talking about so i dont look like an idiot[]
thanks again

Old 02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Overdrive Member

The stock exhaust system only has one pipe running from the cat(s) back, it then goes over the axle and dumps into a muffler that has two outlets, so it looks like dual, but it really isn't. You can fit true dual exhaust, but you start running into either 1: major ground clearance issues, or 2: space issues of where to run the pipes, and more than likely both. Most of the true dual exhaust setups run 2 pipes where there was origionally one, I'd draw it for you, but they get pretty complex, and if you had it custom bent, it'd cost you fortune(the prefabricated ones aren't cheap either). You're better off running a normal 3in. cat back(single pipe) like the Borla or Magnaflow etc. models. If you're going to get something custom put in, I'd suggest going with the single pipe back, and then having it split at the back into 2 for the visual aspect.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

haha okay perfect so none of our cars realy have duel exhaust, even upgraded4th gens i didnt know we can realy have one without problems.sweet so all i need is a bigger cat back pipe! y pipe and headers!
excellent thankyou so much slver