LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Unknown problem with '97 Z28.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Lauren3265
Hello, I just bought a '97 Z28 on January 30th (last week). The seller said all it needed was a new water pump...so the next day, I bought a new water pump, battery, thermostat, and antifreeze.
We removed the old water pump and old thermostat and replaced them with brand new ones and well as used the antifreeze. I went and ran a test drive, and almost immediately it began to overheat and smoke from the mufflers and underneath the hood, and the thermostat was removed. When I got home (let me mention I am working with another person who knows a lot more about cars and is making the decisions and such) I...we...used a sealant to fix the head gasket and warp heads. After running the car as the directions said to, massive pressure built up underneath the radiator, and the cap blew off and liquid shot out. The car then began to shut down. The next day, we used the bleeder valve to bleed it, and it ran about 5-10 miles perfectly, and then it began to overheat again. There is also no heat from the heater.
Need you to clear up a contradiction, did you ever have the new thermostat in place? No thermostat can be a cause of overheating since the radiator can't then do it's job. Are your cooling fans going on? I see no mention, and if they aren't turning on, your engine WILL overheat. An overheating engine builds up a lot more pressure, and that could be the only reason the radiator cap blew off. You'll be lucky if that's the only thing that did blow from overheating. You also really need to make sure that the cooling system is bled well of all air, or it can cause overheating problems. Did the engine act like this when you test drove it before buying the car? Because you mention it overheating and smoking right after replacing the pump, and something that obvious would have been noticed before you bought the car.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM

I dropped $7000 on my 97 SS and then the dash cracked in the dark in the garage. In the temperature controlled garage. My Dad wanted to drive it, when he got in his keys managed to pull apart the seam in the seat. I rode with the t-tops out and part of the headliner came loose. And it has one lifter that likes to tick when its first cranked up. All of this happened after I bought it. I dont know about yours but mine is just a toy. If thats your case save up and fix it the right way. If not unload it and move on. Craigslist is loaded with Camaros.

Last edited by BRHill7; 02-08-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Need you to clear up a contradiction, did you ever have the new thermostat in place? No thermostat can be a cause of overheating since the radiator can't then do it's job. Are your cooling fans going on? I see no mention, and if they aren't turning on, your engine WILL overheat. An overheating engine builds up a lot more pressure, and that could be the only reason the radiator cap blew off. You'll be lucky if that's the only thing that did blow from overheating. You also really need to make sure that the cooling system is bled well of all air, or it can cause overheating problems. Did the engine act like this when you test drove it before buying the car? Because you mention it overheating and smoking right after replacing the pump, and something that obvious would have been noticed before you bought the car.
At this moment, it is running with no thermostat. When I FIRST test drove it, I had the thermostat in place and the overheating was occuring. The fans weren't turning on in the first testrun, but now the are turning on, and the thermostat is out.

I was not in the car when it was first test driven, it was my boyfriend's father who called the shots for me since I honestly didn't know much about the Camaro other than the basics (it's fast! ^_^ etcetera, haha).

I called the guy working on the car for me and told him to attempt to bleed out more air, and replace the thermostat and see how it runs now since the fans are now working. This would have been done sooner, but the weather is not permitting at all.