LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

transmission upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Default transmission upgrades???

I have a 93 z28 pace car and I want to up grade the stock automatic. I hear a little talk about shift kits, stall converters, and torque converters i'm not really sure what all that means?? i've never toyed with a transmission before. just wondering were the best place to start would be. and were i could purchase the kits??

Thnx.
frk

Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: transmission upgrades???

The kits are avalible form performance shops locally or mail order like Jegs or Summit Racing.
http://www.jegs.com
http://www.summitracing.com
Stall converter and torque converter are 1 in the same. Stall speed is how much RPM it can take while your foot is on the brake. The higher the stall, the more power it can handle. Too little stall, and the torque converter won't disengage and be like trying to stop a manual still in gear w/o a clutch and w/o killing the engine.
Shift kits require you to drop the transmission oil pan, filter, and valve body. Remove the few screws holding the valve body in and taking it out. The kit will come with instructions on which valve to take out, drill and install the new components on. Put the valve body back up then a NEW transfilter. New gasket on the transmission oil pan and then fill it back up. I recomend using synthetic transmission fluid such as Mobil 1 ATF, TCI racing compund, B&M Synthetic Trick Shift, Royal Pruple. I don't know if you have the electronic trans, but you could always get a programmer for that too and it'd work wonders with a shift kit.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 PM

I just installed a shift kit in my 94' z28 witha 4l60e and the kit was worth every penny but unless you get a solid or polyurethane tranny mount u will break the stock ones every month or so but then again my kit is adjusted so it shifts as fast/hard as it can............

Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 AM
2nd Gear member

I'll agree that a shift kit is worth the money. But a few pointers from my experience when choosing a kit. There are many brands available and most allow you to choose your shift firmness. The kit I used recommends firm over harsh but that's just my preference because I don't race. I will warn you that if you choose a kit that requires removal of the valve body (which I'm sure most are), make sure you have the v/body gasket to case on hand. Mines was not included in the kit and the instructions did not mention it prior to my disassemble so it delayed my install. My impatience forced me to buy a complete gasket/seal kit because I did not want to wait for a special order. Good luck

Mike