LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Thought problem was licked

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Default Thought problem was licked

Something to ponder...I am having trouble with the Camaro after New Fuel Pump , Plugs , Wires, Coil , And Optispark

When it was all put together it fired up...had cobwebs from sitting but ran and sounded good..Idled for the most part...shut it off and it got worse with every re-start....

Had a cheap Japanese Ebay pump in there and replaced it with an airtex...when I did that it fired up ....got it out of the garage running like crap...backed it down the driveway the whole time re-starting and finally to go I had to hold the pedal down and shift from neutral...ran it down the street felt like it wanted to run and was trying but would die when I let off the pedal...totally died down the street ..pushed it in driveway.. was steaming off the passenger manifold area....went back in an saw a vent line was off on the pump install and re attached ..charged the battery. Now with a full battery it turns over...slight popping coming from under the car?it seems. But will not start. I was frustrated so I left it alone to charge. Planning to replace the Fuel Filter and test the Pressure of the fuel. Any Insight would be great. Coolant system was bled for air...as much as I could as it long as it ran. 1995 Z28 Lt1

Old 04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hate to say it but it sure sounds like u got a bum opti. what kind opti did u get and from who?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Thanks CRABY I bought an Accel from Autozone....This is a project not a Daily Driver....It is a 1995 Covertible...was left uncovered through 2 Hurricanes in Florida....Wife and I stripped it down to bare bones and re-did it...working on this is not a problem.....We are super proud of it.

If it is indeed the Opti....that is not near as hard as changing all the plugs...THAT was the hard part..No room.

I guess I will Change the Filter for 10 bucks..and look for a vaccuum leak and make sure the Grounds are solid...if not...looks like t is tear down time....LOL UNLESS someone has a better idea That I may have missed.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the best opti i have run across seems to be the gm/ac performance opti.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

stick with a GM opti...and i also know from experience that airtex isn't the best brand for fuel pumps...though this doesn't sound like a fuel issue

Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Ok , torn down and I replaced the OPTI with a Delco ....everything put back together to recap
New Delco Fuel Pump
New Plugs /Wires
New Coil
New Throttle Pos Sensor
New Opti Spark complete
New Water Pump

I got all that done and it seemed to still have a fuel issue?..I replaced the 2 month old Fuel Filter...it started up..ran a little rough but the more it ran the better is seemed..all of a sudden it shut off....would not re start- it has Spark...I am charging the battery now...
I am thinking Fuel Pressure Regulator? Any thoughts at this point?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

scan for codes.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM

That is the path I am going to take....I remember way back asking Autozone to scan it and he could not...what kind of code reader do I need?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear member

If you have another parts store around see if they can scan it.
You have the odd-ball year for OBD issues. It is sort of a hybrid of OBDI and OBDII and many scanners won't work. Pretty sure you have the OBDII plug, but the OBDI PCM (or maybe I have that backward).
In a pinch, you should be able to get it scanned at a stealership, but that would be my very last choice.

To be completely honest, after reading "was left uncovered through 2 Hurricanes in Florida" I can't believe you and your better half are even trying to get this thing sorted out. With the water and flooding problems normally associated with a hurricane, there is really no way to tell what all got wet and what may be corroding under the hood or under the dash or in the interior. Could be problems with water intrusion into the wiring harness. Any idea of how many connectors there are on one of these cars? I would guess a couple of hundred. Was it anywhere near sal****er or tidal surges during the storms?

It very possible that you may not find the problem(s) without spending far more than the car will ever be worth. But on the other hand, I know that I love a good challenge. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 04-19-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Thought problem was licked