LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

is there a way?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default is there a way?

well as you all know before my torque converter wont stay locked up in OD or 4th gear.. like when im driving when tranny is cold it is locked after hitting OD but after it warms up it will unlock and my rpms will go from 2400 to 2000 but anyway

is there a simple way i can make my converter lockup manually in OD like a flick of the switch or a way to make it stay in lock mode when in OD cause when it unlocks and drops my rpms that much it wont go anywhere it looses power till i put it at more then half throtle then it will rev up to like 3000 rpms till i kick it at full throtle then it will down shift and go?? thanks

edit = i was driving today and desided to press the brake in just a tad just to kick in that switch and guess what the converter locked up cause it went from 2000 rpm back to 2400 rpms but i didnt hit the brake hard enough to engage the brake pads but after i let off about 7 sec the rpms droped back to 2000

by the way this all started about 2 months ago when i had to keep pressing the brake hard to keep from hitting slow drivers lol that were doing 15 in a 45 :O thats when it started to do this i pressed the brake in i would guess like 27 times in 30 or 40 sec..now when i give it gas it just goes boooooooooouhhhhhhhhh instead of roarrrr lol...but if i tap the gas a tad real quick it will stay at the rpms that its suppose to then drop down after about 4 sec

Last edited by samtron; 05-26-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by samtron
well as you all know before my torque converter wont stay locked up in OD or 4th gear.. like when im driving when tranny is cold it is locked after hitting OD but after it warms up it will unlock and my rpms will go from 2400 to 2000
First off, when the t.c. locks up, your rpm's go down. So when it unlocks, the rpm's go up, not down. And only by a little, not a lot like you're describing.
Are you sure it's a lockup problem you're having, or just telling it wrong? A lockup converter "locks together", but only when the trans is in O.D. You sure the trans isn't just having shift problems? Sounds like it may be "hunting" between 3rd and 4th? Around town, put the shifter in 3rd and keep it there. O.D. isn't needed or wanted at slow speeds, your engine rpm will be too low, well below the optimum pulling range.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah im sure cause when im doing 60mph it was always 2400 rpms but now it is only 2000rpms but like you said it might be hunting...how would i know that for sure?

edit = when the rpms drop the magnaflows i got are way to quiet since this happened but i tap the gas not even a 1/4 it will go to normal like it usually did then drop again...it feels like a 4 banger when it does instead of a beast v8

edit again...i put it in 3rd gear for town sometimes and its like it looses power to the wheels it will just a tad drop rpms going 40 mph in 3rd and rpms are almost 3000 but then it drops to 2800 till i tap the gas ??? idk maybe my tranny is about to blow if it is i wanna have some fun with it before it does hehe

Last edited by samtron; 05-27-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Turn the radio off and tune your ear into the engine. If it feels and sounds like it's constantly shifting from a higher gear to a lower, or vice-versa, then it's hunting for the right gear and never finding it. It could be the speed you're driving it at with whatever gear you have it in. Or it could be something with the transmission itself. Does it do that at highway cruising speeds too, or does it stay more constant? And I don't know what rear gears you have, but 2k rpm at 60 mph sounds right in the ballpark. With my other car (69 doesn't have o.d.) when I'm driving around town, I never put it in 4, it always stays in 3rd. I do that because in 4th, the rpm's are too low for my liking, and the trans will sometimes keep shifting from 4-3-4 which annoys me. I don't know that what you're experiencing is all that abnormal.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like u been driving in 3rd gear the whole time. mine turns 1800 rpms at 60. have u tried to adjust the transmission cable?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
have u tried to adjust the transmission cable?
Only if his Camaro is a 1993. After that, it's electronic.
What year is the car? It was never mentioned.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

its a 1994 ...im always driving it in OD not third gear but once in a while i do pop it in 3rd or the D without the square around it ...when im on the highway it will do the same thing but in a higher rpm like 80mph it will be about 3200 rpms and then it will drop to idk somewhere to 2900 and i loose alot of power it might be in my cable idk cause when i tap the gas just like a little tap it goes to where its suppose to for 3-5 sec then drops again it never done this before when i first got the car

Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for it to drop in rpms is unusal. could be the trany is trying to be in two gears at once. that would be interal. or the torque converter could be doing something two. might be worth it to call a trany shop and ask them or question on a trany forum.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i guess ill take it to a tranny shop and see what they tell me hope it wont cost much for them to look at it thanks