LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

superchargers and turbos

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Default superchargers and turbos

i want to put a big power adder like a supercharger or turbo, but is there anything i need to do to the engine?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: superchargers and turbos

Not to be rude, but try searching first. This question has been asked (believe it or not) tons of times.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

well depends on boost ul run. u say a big power adder so im just assuming u want to run alot of boost? so youd need less compression and probably a built bottom end.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:39 PM

I hope you are not planning to first put in a super charger that should be one of the last mods on a engine. Also for quick reference turbos need more matience than super chargers but you need an intercooler for super. Super are usually serpintimed based as well and you can get more horses out of a turbo.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: knightemilio

I hope you are not planning to first put in a super charger that should be one of the last mods on a engine. Also for quick reference turbos need more matience than super chargers but you need an intercooler for super. Super are usually serpintimed based as well and you can get more horses out of a turbo.

It doesnt matter when you go f/i, just how much boost you want to run like rob said.. Though it is probablya good idea to build your engine first. Especially if you want it to last. Charging a stock engine would wear the engine out VERY quickly so I would suggest you beef up the engine. As for which is better, it depends on what you are going to use it for. Superchargers are generally off the line instant power. Turbos have a small bit of parastic lag and dont kick in right away but are generally good for road courses or the back half of the drag strip.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM

well i have a cam, lifters, and springs on the way from comp cams

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

is it a blower cam? otherwise ur pissing in the wind.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Next time try to post in the force induction section if you would. Both the LT1 and LS1 are strong engines and as long as they are well maintained and in good condition they can support fair amounts of boost. A lot depends on how much boost and power you want to draw from the car. If you are keeping the boost on the mild side and have it well tuned your engine could last for a very long time it all depends on how well you take care of it and how hard you run it.

First you need to decide what you want and what kind of budget you want to work with. Forced induction is not cheap by any means. You are looking some where in the 4000-7000 range for a SC or Turbo depending on brand, trim, options, cooler, etc. If you have any other questions about FI please fill free to post up in the forced induction section i will do my best to help you out and point you in the right direction.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM
2nd Gear member

ls1's and lt1' can handle nos pretty good idk about boost tho

Old 02-01-2009, 06:08 PM

I picked up 107 rwhp with a magnuson 112 5th generation super charger. car was built with cam, heads, many other bolt ons. Went from stock at 301.2 to 397.6 ( cam heads,ect) to 505.4 with supercharger.

Quick Reply: superchargers and turbos