LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

starter gear sticks in flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Default starter gear sticks in flexplate

need some help with this one. I rigged up a remote start switch and bought a shim kit. However no matter which shim combination i use the starter gear teeth remain meshed with the flexplate teeth after attempting to start. I have to loosen the starter bolts halfway and wiggle the starter for the armature to recede.

Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the flexplate the original or new? what starter switch? part number? did it do this before you worked on it? what did you do?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Depending on how and at what point the bendix gear is meshing with the flywheel, the shims could be making the mesh even tighter.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by craby
is the flexplate the original or new? what starter switch? part number? did it do this before you worked on it? what did you do?
The flexplate is the original. The switch i used is just a like this one:

i rigged the common and the other wire on the norm. open. terminal. I just press the roller down to engage the the circuit. They are connected to the two terminals on the solenoid (not the terminal which leads into the solenoid).

I had been working on a lifter problem. I removed the right-side lifters, push-rods, rockers, intake manifold, etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Depending on how and at what point the bendix gear is meshing with the flywheel, the shims could be making the mesh even tighter.
So how would i solve this problem?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so the switch is hooked directly to the starter? you had to remove the starter to do it? have you tried to remove the switch to see if it was the cause of the problem? if there is a trickle of juice into the solenoid it wont want to retract.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by craby
so the switch is hooked directly to the starter? you had to remove the starter to do it? have you tried to remove the switch to see if it was the cause of the problem? if there is a trickle of juice into the solenoid it wont want to retract.
I haven't tried starting the vehicle without the switch since i've reinstalled the remote starter rig. Howeverm the problem existed before i made the rig.

I have the two wire for the remote starter rig, wired between the two terminals you'd normally jump with a screwdriver. there are three terminals, i'm usiing the two that have wires coming from elsewhere in the vehicle (ie. the terminal which leads to the ignition sw. and the terminal which recieves the poistive from the battery). The terminal which has a wire leading to the interior of the solenoid isn't touched. I'm connecting to the terminals with alligator clips. Is this right?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you should be using only of the small posts on the starter. if you are giving juice to both the small wire posts then i believe there is where the issue most likely is. if i remember right the post closest to the block is the correct one to use to engauge the starter and thats where all the small wires should go. the big one of coarse goes to the battery.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by bellsz28
I have the two wire for the remote starter rig, wired between the two terminals you'd normally jump with a screwdriver. there are three terminals, i'm usiing the two that have wires coming from elsewhere in the vehicle (ie. the terminal which leads to the ignition sw. and the terminal which recieves the poistive from the battery). The terminal which has a wire leading to the interior of the solenoid isn't touched. I'm connecting to the terminals with alligator clips. Is this right?
He's doing it right craby.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah i see that now. man i had to read that three more times. lol.

Quick Reply: starter gear sticks in flexplate