Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   starter gear sticks in flexplate (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/starter-gear-sticks-flexplate-59540/)

bellsz28 02-20-2011 12:08 PM

starter gear sticks in flexplate

need some help with this one. I rigged up a remote start switch and bought a shim kit. However no matter which shim combination i use the starter gear teeth remain meshed with the flexplate teeth after attempting to start. I have to loosen the starter bolts halfway and wiggle the starter for the armature to recede.

Any ideas?

craby 02-20-2011 12:48 PM

is the flexplate the original or new? what starter switch? part number? did it do this before you worked on it? what did you do?

Camaro 69 02-20-2011 01:49 PM

Depending on how and at what point the bendix gear is meshing with the flywheel, the shims could be making the mesh even tighter.

bellsz28 02-21-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 511781)
is the flexplate the original or new? what starter switch? part number? did it do this before you worked on it? what did you do?

The flexplate is the original. The switch i used is just a like this one:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...o0fPx_IZmLyk8t
i rigged the common and the other wire on the norm. open. terminal. I just press the roller down to engage the the circuit. They are connected to the two terminals on the solenoid (not the terminal which leads into the solenoid).

I had been working on a lifter problem. I removed the right-side lifters, push-rods, rockers, intake manifold, etc.

bellsz28 02-21-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 511791)
Depending on how and at what point the bendix gear is meshing with the flywheel, the shims could be making the mesh even tighter.

So how would i solve this problem?

craby 02-21-2011 06:43 PM

so the switch is hooked directly to the starter? you had to remove the starter to do it? have you tried to remove the switch to see if it was the cause of the problem? if there is a trickle of juice into the solenoid it wont want to retract.

bellsz28 02-24-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 512229)
so the switch is hooked directly to the starter? you had to remove the starter to do it? have you tried to remove the switch to see if it was the cause of the problem? if there is a trickle of juice into the solenoid it wont want to retract.

I haven't tried starting the vehicle without the switch since i've reinstalled the remote starter rig. Howeverm the problem existed before i made the rig.

I have the two wire for the remote starter rig, wired between the two terminals you'd normally jump with a screwdriver. there are three terminals, i'm usiing the two that have wires coming from elsewhere in the vehicle (ie. the terminal which leads to the ignition sw. and the terminal which recieves the poistive from the battery). The terminal which has a wire leading to the interior of the solenoid isn't touched. I'm connecting to the terminals with alligator clips. Is this right?

craby 02-24-2011 08:08 PM

you should be using only of the small posts on the starter. if you are giving juice to both the small wire posts then i believe there is where the issue most likely is. if i remember right the post closest to the block is the correct one to use to engauge the starter and thats where all the small wires should go. the big one of coarse goes to the battery.

Camaro 69 02-24-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bellsz28 (Post 513179)
I have the two wire for the remote starter rig, wired between the two terminals you'd normally jump with a screwdriver. there are three terminals, i'm usiing the two that have wires coming from elsewhere in the vehicle (ie. the terminal which leads to the ignition sw. and the terminal which recieves the poistive from the battery). The terminal which has a wire leading to the interior of the solenoid isn't touched. I'm connecting to the terminals with alligator clips. Is this right?

He's doing it right craby.

craby 02-24-2011 10:20 PM

yah i see that now. man i had to read that three more times. lol.