LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Should I delete EVAP from PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Default Should I delete EVAP from PCM?

I am sending my PCM off to have the EGR system disabled. My car has shorty headers installed, which I blame the P0400 DTC on. A few months ago, I had my car tuned by Solomon, and he said that sometimes through a tune, the EGR system can remain enabled (with no DTC's) with after market headers, but often enough, the EGR system must be programmed out in order to get rid of the DTC. Sure enough, the P0400 returned after the tune. So, I am sending my PCM back to have to EGR system programmed out.

I also have a P1441 code for EVAP flow during non purge. I changed the purge valve solenoid, but still have the code, next I'll try to change the cansiter. I was thinking about having Solomon program out the EVAP system as well just to be done with this the easy way. However, I was reading through the "Testing the EVAP system" sticky, and that made me think twice. I thought the EVAP system was merely an emmissions thing, and not something that could affect performance of the vehicle, but it seems that I'm wrong about that. Maybe I should not just have the EVAP system programmed out of the PCM and forget about it?? From reading that sticky, it looks like certain problems with the EVAP system I would want to know about via a SES light, so I might be better off to leave it be? Any thoughts or advice?

Also, when you have a system such as EGR deleted from the PCM, what status will the monitor show up with a scanner tool? Reader, Not Ready, or N/A??

Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about scanners or other testing equipment reporting the status of deleted items. I would like to comment on the evap system tho. I found some of my evap lines at the motor clogged with charcoal. The hard tube running under the TB was full of charcoal. It did allow vacum to accumulate but I was concerned that the vac would build and not release fast enough. I replaced the line with a larger diameter soft line. I then put a small engine fuel filter at the connection where it is paired with the fuel lines. I hope the line from the gas tank stays viable, as I do not want to replace that bastard.