LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

question about rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default question about rocker arms

hey i have been thinking about changing out the rocker arms in my stock lt1. its a 97 z28. i am wanting to put 1.6 ratio arms in my car. my question is can i swap out the rocker arms without having to get new pushrods? and if i can is this going to work for my piston to valve clearance? any answers or help would be appreciated. thanks in advance guys

Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you will need to measure and install new push rods. the different ratio changes the angle the rockers have which changes the contact point of the rocker to the outside of the valve. at high rpms this can bend a rod or valve. you should also install better valve springs.

Last edited by craby; 07-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for the info. i still dont know if i am going to do it. i wanted to keep the engine in the car to do this. i know i could still probably keep it in the engine and change it but i kinda want to keep the reliability of the car and if changing the rocker arms increases my chance of bending a rod by a good bit then i think i will hold off. i am starting to get into high mileage (around 150k). Just trying to come up with stuff to gain a little horses and not have to spend too much money. thanks again.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1974z28
thanks for the info. i still dont know if i am going to do it. i wanted to keep the engine in the car to do this. i know i could still probably keep it in the engine and change it but i kinda want to keep the reliability of the car and if changing the rocker arms increases my chance of bending a rod by a good bit then i think i will hold off. i am starting to get into high mileage (around 150k). Just trying to come up with stuff to gain a little horses and not have to spend too much money. thanks again.

#1- if it's a 94 and above please remove the "jet chip" from your signature and get the ECM tuned

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

long tube headers will give you more than 1.6 rr's

Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, just curious i am not really great with the electronic side of stuff with cars. i prefer the older cars with little to no electronics. what would be the real advantage of taking my chip out and getting it tuned. the site says it could gain me 26 horse but the chip is a 25 horse chip. i'm just curious and would like to learn more about this so i can make a better decision.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

in a 97 the chip is not going to get you that kind of gain. most times the chip simply add more fuel. lose the chip and have it tuned right.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1974z28
ok, just curious i am not really great with the electronic side of stuff with cars. i prefer the older cars with little to no electronics. what would be the real advantage of taking my chip out and getting it tuned. the site says it could gain me 26 horse but the chip is a 25 horse chip. i'm just curious and would like to learn more about this so i can make a better decision.
did you go through the jet chip process yourself or did the prior owner and he's the one who gave you the lofty claims?

THe site I provided will have you log data under several conditions. You will capture the file, email it to him and he will create a tune based upon your desires. He'll alkso inform you of anything suspicious that he notices.

If you want VATS tuned out, or egr tuned out, shift points changed etc etc he does that as well. After sending you a tune, you log data again and he reviews it and will keep working with you until you are satisfied (within reason)

did jet chip do all of that with you?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

the previous owner had it installed but i looked it up and that is what it claimed.

either way the tune sounds like a better idea now because i can get it tuned the way i want.

now is the chip going to do anything for a 98 trans am? or should i just get rid of the chip altogether and have my 98 trans tuned the same way?

and i doubt the chip did all of that. i bet crabby is right and its just giving more fuel. i removed it once and i really didnt notice much of a difference if any at all.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would not add a chip to anything newer than 93.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok thanks for the info guys.

would i have better luck going to a dyno in my local area and having them do a custom tune and have solid numbers? i am just uncomfortable sending off my pcm to someone and have them install a cookie cutter map on my pcm. i am just trying to get the most for my money. i dont really know about the local areas around where i live. but i plan on doing research and finding out how much they cost. a plus to the dyno would be solid numbers but i dont really wanna shell out a bunch more for about the same numbers.

Quick Reply: question about rocker arms