LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

painting vehicle surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default painting vehicle surfaces

okay here is my dilemma. my rear bumper has some decent cracks in it, possible to touch up. the front bumper is awful as well, in fact its terrible, big paint pieces gone peeling cracking and the left fender along with the front bumper are both a slightly different color. will this process work http://www.ehow.com/how_5647752_pain...s-bumpers.html
this guy left out a clear coat which i will apply. i just want some input on the process tips warnings anything to help it go smoothly. i will post a thread later on how i do it with pics and many other things. also if this will work on the bumpers will it work on the hood? the hood looks bad as well... thanks in advance.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

I would use two-stage Dupont polyurathane! The first color coat should be a "dull" finish, then the clear and buff the hell out of it!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
4th Gear Member

The person sure makes it sound easy. Definitely take some pics and post when you do the painting. I want to try and paint a bumper, hood, and fender but only thing I have ever painted was a tractor and a 6x12 trailer. Both turned out pretty good but I was playin with $25 a gallon paint, not several hundred dollar a gallon paint.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Well it does'nt matter what type of paint. The polyurathane is just more resiliant. As long as the color is "DULL" before the clear. That's the key to a two stage paint job. The thinner the color coat the better!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ill remember that. yeah he makes it sound easy but if i mess up even a little it HAS to look better than big nasty chips and stuff i figure... there are other painting threads and articles i will take pieces of their techniques and try them as well... the paint itself should be cheap.. ill definitely post pics and articles on everything i do to meh car, my mistakes will save you guys i figure
im also gonna paint several parts of the interior. it should be awesome ill make a thread when its all done.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Try a little piece of metal or something. All you need to do is "scuff" the surface, with some fine sand paper. Go over it with a little piece of lintless cloth or pads with alcohol on it to clean. Spray a light even coat with an airbrush or spraygun. Scuff again with very fine sand paper so it is "DULL". Clean again with a little lintless patch with alcohol on it. Spray your clear on thick, you don't have to worry about runs or anything. Then take a buffer with buffing compound and buff the hell out of it! Viola, now you have a long lasting two-stage paint job!

Last edited by CraZ28; 03-28-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

lol that sounds simple to, i will run a few test as you suggested first. ill try a few things starting like you said. NAPA will put the paint i need into a spray can, fairly conventional. will that work?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

I guess. I don't paint. I had a guy do mine who did a little work out of a garage. But he moved to Texas. I saw my car after he painted one side of color, it was very dull. I also saw a couple drag bike shells, that were "dull" too. Then after the clear coat was sprayed and cured he took a sponge type buffer with compound and let it have it! Still shines today, a couple cracks here and their on the bumpers from hitting it, but no peeling or chipping. You can also do multi-stage paint. You usually start with a argent silver see, then you let it dry. Then you put your badgeing or whatever on it and spray with a "candy" over-coat! You do this for "pearl" coloring also but with a white base. Then you take your badgeing stickers off. The key is thin coats of paint. And lightly sand and clean in between each coat. Keeping it level before you blast a thick coat of clear on it and get ready to man-handle the buffer/compound! Damn, I need something to paint!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

Matter of fact the clear was sanded too. To take any "lumps" off. Then you buff with sponge and compound! That's a "dry" painter. After each stage you lightly sand and clean with a little piece of sand paper and then a little lintless patch soaked in alcohol, and work it lightly once over with two fingers!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ok lol thanks

Quick Reply: painting vehicle surfaces