LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

ok im ready to get a ford

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default ok im ready to get a ford

Just kidding i love my car when it works. ok i have a 93 z28 and i just brought my car in to see what was wrong with it and we found out that it was the ecm. so i got the only one in the country. i picked it up yesterday and it ran grate all gay no problems. i brought it home let it sit over night and now it wont start. when i turn it over it fires but dies right away. if i play with the throtle i can get it to run and it will run good till i let it drop to 1500 rpm then it dies. any one have this problem. can some one help. thanks all

Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ok im ready to get a ford

this might sound dumb, but make sure your air intake elbow is sealed on your throttle body good and tight.. being that your ecm was having problems, this may not be it, but my buddy's lt1 firebird wouldnt idle one day but would stay alive with the gas pedal, and we changed wires, ran injector cleaner, etc. until we realized that there was a small leak in his intake.. sealed it up and it ran fine

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Overdrive Member

it could be the cat if its plugged

Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
4th Gear Member

check the negative terminal on the battery, if it's loose or cooroded it can cause this type of problem.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

idk i tryed the barrery i tryed disconnecting it and letting the ecm re boot or what ever and tightened the termanal and no difference. my air intake has a leak idk someone that had it befor me broke off the ait sencer and then just pluged it in the hole. idk it could be a pluged cat i am thinking about getting an of road y pipe any waysso i can try that. i brought it in i will see what they say. they are the people that have worked on it befor. i asked a mecanic and he said he never herd of any thing like that. if you have any other ideas that would be grate thanks...

Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont think it would be the cat becouse i think that would be a gradaul thing it wouldent just go out. that is what i think i dont know much about it.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Have you figured out what your car's problem is? My 94 Z-28 is doing the same thing, Im not a mechanic at all so Im lost, havent driven my car in weeks now!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

i think it is my computer. but the problem is that i cant find any for my year becouse it is the only year that fits that car. since yours is a 94 it should be easyer to find a computer. they arnt as much as you think they would be they are about 250-300 dollers. i am not shere what i am going to do i think i am going to convert my 93 into a 94 by getting a wireing harness computer and a mass air flow sencer, becouse i cant find a computer for the 93.

Now for a question for you. is your ses light on?
how long does it run befor it dies?

The thing is that it is givinga code that is shutting off my injectors and i looked into it and the code told me to replace the ICM so i did and there was no change, and i brought it in and they said it was the computer. i have had a problem with computers now for a long time.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM

Im going to try a few more things on mine before I give up and sell it, Im going to check the ignition wiring and see if there is maybe something wrong there. Hopefully I can figure it out, I hate to get of the thing, Ive only had it for 6 months.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

the only thing i can think of is the egr valve. i had an s10 that sounded like it was doing the same thing as your car. the egr valve was clogged with carbon and i had to clean it out with sea foam before it would run great. after that i never had another problem. idk if that will work on your car but its an idea

Quick Reply: ok im ready to get a ford