LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Is it ok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Default Is it ok?

I've been reading in here about how it is safe to up shift and down shift an auto (as long as you aren't going too fast) I was wondering.. would it be safe for me to just put my car in 3rd instead of using over drive? All you guys know when you hit the gas in over drive it takes a second to register. So yeah would it be ok for me to cruise around in 3rd? If I go on highways I'll use over drive but I like being able to punch it without that pause in between.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear member

its actually using it in drive then and will help make your tranny last longer

Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Safe? It won't hurt a thing. While driving around town, you're better off not having it in overdrive. In o/d, the rpm's are so far below the optimum power band, that not only does it lug the engine down, but it can also worsen your around town gas mileage. I usually keep it in third until going about 45, then pop it into o/d.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkFnG
I've been reading in here about how it is safe to up shift and down shift an auto (as long as you aren't going too fast) I was wondering.. would it be safe for me to just put my car in 3rd instead of using over drive? All you guys know when you hit the gas in over drive it takes a second to register. So yeah would it be ok for me to cruise around in 3rd? If I go on highways I'll use over drive but I like being able to punch it without that pause in between.

ummm

please clarify a bit if you would. Is your tranny having trouble downshifting? Or, do you just want to try and keep the engine in the power band like how some people do with a manny tranny?

If it takes 1-mississippi for your tranny to downshift then you had best start saving your pennies.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

the pause is more noticable on stock trannies and gets worse as the clutches wear.
putting the shifter into drive is a very good idea if you love to burp the gas often.
in drive there is another clutch that applies to help the gear not to slip, and that what gives you the down shift kicks because all the power isn;t going threw a little sprag clutch.
same agian in second and in first there is redundent clamping to prevent slipping,
that just isn;t there when in overdrive

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply everyone, no my tranny isn't slipping or anything. I just had it rebuilt by aamco and got all the upgrades they could give me. I just want to keep the power band.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply everyone, no my tranny isn't slipping or anything. I just had it rebuilt by aamco and got all the upgrades they could give me. I just want to keep the power band.

Ahhhhh, a man with first hand information. Did they do all the labor incuding removing the tranny and reinstalling? What were the upgrades? Was it basically a shift kit or did they use the corvette servo?

And you knew this was coming, if they did all the work, how much did it cost?

I'll show mine if you show me yours.

I paid $700 for a rebuild with shift kit on the 4L60e but did the removal replacement myself.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 PM

Yeah they did all the labor I didn't have time to deal with it and I needed my car lol. I got a shift kit, corvette servo, z pack clutches, beast reaction shell, a different torque converter and some other things the receipt is in my car.. It was 2300 for everything

Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah they did all the labor I didn't have time to deal with it and I needed my car lol. I got a shift kit, corvette servo, z pack clutches, beast reaction shell, a different torque converter and some other things the receipt is in my car.. It was 2300 for everything

OK, so here we have both sides of the spectrum should anyone need the info in the future. Yours was $2300 soup to nuts

Mine was $700 and that included a shift kit and rebuilt torque converter. I also had to buy tranny fluid so maybe my total cost, including fuel to deliver and pick up the tranny was $800. If I went with an upgraded servo, shell and clutches it probably would have run another $200 for a total of $1,000.

But, you need to have the time, patience, facilities and tools to drop the tranny and then reinstall it. Thank you for sharing your price as now others can see the numbers from both perspectives and decide which is best for them.

I can tell you this. When tranny meets head, the tranny wins every time; ouch.

If you are just looking to get back on the road and don't need a tranny to handle 600HP, then perhaps give these guys a try. No, I don't work for them and yes, 7 months later it is still working fine.

http://gatortranz.com/

Last edited by torque_is_good; 05-13-2010 at 06:36 AM.