LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

97 z engine shuts off at certain temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Default 97 z engine shuts off at certain temp

from cold i can fire it up, i can also drive it but it will die when i get gets to 160 deg, or if i let it idol in the drive way giving it throttle it will also die at 160 deg. once it dies it wont start back up for a while like a half a day to a day. if i let it idol with no throttle it will get up to opperating temp, i have not tried to drive it after it gets to operating temp for fear i'll have to tow it again and i cant always get it towed. once after it died pulled the icm and cooled it off reinstalled it and still wouldnt fire. the icm is also new. i cant pull any codes my obd 2 keeps telling me no codes, and the check engine light never came on nor does it come on when its idoling. it runs fine and idols very smoothly no strange noises. its got to be electrical im not all that great at chasing those types of problems

Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BMCossey97Z28
from cold i can fire it up, i can also drive it but it will die when i get gets to 160 deg, or if i let it idol in the drive way giving it throttle it will also die at 160 deg. once it dies it wont start back up for a while like a half a day to a day. if i let it idol with no throttle it will get up to opperating temp, i have not tried to drive it after it gets to operating temp for fear i'll have to tow it again and i cant always get it towed. once after it died pulled the icm and cooled it off reinstalled it and still wouldnt fire. the icm is also new. i cant pull any codes my obd 2 keeps telling me no codes, and the check engine light never came on nor does it come on when its idoling. it runs fine and idols very smoothly no strange noises. its got to be electrical im not all that great at chasing those types of problems
you are chasing your tail young man

let's step back, catch our collective breaths and review what you've said.

According to your posts

when cold, aka "open loop" the car runs fine and drives well

if you let it idle (it's idle, idol is a tv show), then it idles until you hit 160 aka "closed loop" and then dies.

you then state that it has a new icm

you also ask if it could be electrical, probably not but it could be electronic.

since you said that you scanned for codes and got nothing, does that scanner also read data? If so, plug it in and read the O2s and other sensors as the engine warms.

I am assuming that your car runs stellar when cold without any issues?????????

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Overdrive Member

For a quick test, you can unplug the connector on the MAF and force the car to run open loop and determine mixture off of the MAP sensor. That said, the car should go into closed loop before 160deg, but it's worth a shot.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you are chasing your tail young man

let's step back, catch our collective breaths and review what you've said.

According to your posts

when cold, aka "open loop" the car runs fine and drives well

if you let it idle (it's idle, idol is a tv show), then it idles until you hit 160 aka "closed loop" and then dies.

you then state that it has a new icm

you also ask if it could be electrical, probably not but it could be electronic.

since you said that you scanned for codes and got nothing, does that scanner also read data? If so, plug it in and read the O2s and other sensors as the engine warms.

I am assuming that your car runs stellar when cold without any issues?????????
from cold (open loop) i start it and i can drive it, and it drives just fine until it gets up to right around 160 then it shuts off, and wont start for a while like a half day. i have also started it from cold in my drive way giving it throttle (so it will heat up faster) and it also dies right at around 160. i have also started it cold in my drive way and let it idle with no throttle and it heats up to operating temp no problem. i did some research on the icm, and when i replaced i didnt use any silicone grease behind it to help dissipate heat so i might have burned it up. i also think that because after starting it and driving it 2 or 3 times (until it died) and starting it and letting it idle in my drive way 3 or 4 times it got to the point where it wont start at all. but right now im in the process of pulling the opti cause i noticed moisture on and around it, so its going back to gm. when i get that done im gonna test the icm and see if i did in fact burn it up.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

well it is better that it stops working in your drive way... lol
but acctualy might be easier to find now.
unless the problem just as suddenley disapears.
i;ve seen crank sensor go bad and not work when they get warm then ok again cold.
also might want to get yourself a wiring diagram incase you need to start finding the ground wires.
oh yah ... check all the grounds ... don;t you just hate that when someone tells you it could be a ground!
you guess which one!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

but when you give hint;s it always sounds the same... it;s hard to give a haircut over the internet.
could be alot of things, but we are triing , just don;t get upset and you should learn alot about your car and how it works

Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 18436572
... it;s hard to give a haircut over the internet.

I've never heard that before. Sorry, but I'm stealing your line

Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM

totally not upset i went into buying this car with the mindset that this is going to happen and im gonna have to work on it, this is the 3rd chevy i have had and at least once a month from the time i was 16 had it all of them jacked up in the drive way. nothing new, just never ran into this

Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM

you guys are super help full much appreciated

Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

that;s cool , sorry if i was gruf
now with a no start condition ...
you need to find what is missing.
fuel , fire , compression , timing ???
like i said before , at least it's in your drive way
keep posting, next guy with this trouble will find help at least