LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

New Owner W/ Q's....surprise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Default New Owner W/ Q's....surprise!!!!

Hey all, great board ya got going here!!!!

Ive recently been gifted (yes i know im very lucky!!!) a 94' Z28.

It is a one owner car ( my mother) who has always taken care of it up to the last year.

For the last year the car has been driven very infrequently.

Upon starting it up and taking it for a spin, the first thing i noticed was that it just didnt sound the same as it used to when she would drive it.

My first guess would be a "miss", as it seems that at least one of the cylinders is missing.

I also remember that before ( a few years back) when i would floor the car, it would either just flat out spin the tires, or at least put your head back with instant throttle response.

Now it does seem to have a bit of hessitation, just a bit, and no tire spin.

I did not seem to notice any difference once it was warm as well.

There was also seemingly a bit of lag on shifts as opposed to what im used to.

Now, ive done a bunch of reading on this forum (thank you!) and it seems that my problems could be one of several things......

1. The opti, (lets hope not! $$$$)

2. Plugs / Wires (havent been changed yet to my knowledge and the car has 80,000)

3. Clogged Catylit or O2 Sensor

Other than having the car flashed, are there any quick ways to observe these problems?

The reason i ask, the car is aprox 150 miles away, and i am concerned if i should have the car fixed / looked at before driving it home?

It will be much easier / cheaper / convienient for me to have the car serviced here, as i know the local shops, which ones are honest and so on.

Thanks so much for the board and any replies in advance!

Chris

Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Default RE: New Owner W/ Q's....surprise!!!!

Sorry, forgot to mention, the car is a 94' LT1 5.7L V8 Automatic w 80,000

No mods, regular oil changes.

Will know more once i get back to the car, all service records have been kept.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Droid

Is the check egine lite lit??

Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Sorry for the delay on the reply, i went ahead and took the chance, and went to pickup the car.

the check engine light is not on, however the ABS INOP is, which my mother also informed causes the cruise not to work. Either an electral issue or the cruise and ABS are on the same circuit?

Anyhow, here is what i expeirienced on the drive home, approx. 160 miles, and required a bit less than a quarter of a tank, surprisingly.

The car has solid power, available when the throttle is pressed immediatly, with little to no sputter. However, it seems to shake at 1300 - 1900 rpm in any gear, and it seems to be every few revolutions thru, like a certain cylinder or clogged injector?

this is also at light gas pressure, when you give it a bit of pedal it seems to perk up, however the shake is not very noticable over 2000 RPM either.

At first i would have thought it was an off balance wheel, but upon further driving i confirmed its only when given gas at any speed in that RPM range.

The oil pressure stayed between 19lbs at lowest (idle) and 65 or so at highest, 3/4 of the guage, never in the red.

Temp stayed consistent and only reached halfway at 5mph rolling traffic on the interstate.

I am taking it in tomorrow for plug's, oil, wireset and whatever else they find wrong with it, however i was hoping some here be able to steer me in the right direction.....

thanks !