LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

excuse my piggy-backing here, but I already have CAI, exhaust, and longtubes. What is your take on a ported throttle body and ported intake manifold?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for all the responses.. I think I'm going to do the cai and then the full exaust. Does anybody know how much a full exaust is? Thanks..

Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
excuse my piggy-backing here, but I already have CAI, exhaust, and longtubes. What is your take on a ported throttle body and ported intake manifold?
with long tubes you've already addressed the issue of exhaust gases remaining in the cylinder and the CAI has increased the gulp of air. You have improved the volumetric efficiency of the engine. The computer will then compensate and add more fuel to the mixture so you don't run lean and the stock fuel injectors and fuel pump are adequate for the task.

So, what have you done to increase the demand for more air? Have you changed your lift or duration of the cam? In other words, are the intake valves remaining open for any longer period of time? The answer is obviously no. 1.6 rr's do that a little but a cam does it even better. So, if the CAI, airfoil and long tubes are adequate, what will porting the throttle body and intake manifold do for you? It's not like it's forced induction and you are stuffing more air in. You intake isn't open longer or higher so the demand isn't there.

But, if you plan on nitrous or a cylinder head and cam change, that is when you address the intake manifold as well as fuel pump and injectors.

It's really not magic but many tend to lose sight of the basics. You draw in air, you mix it with fuel and ignite it. If you do something to draw in more air (cylinder head work and cam or FI) then you need to add more fuel and vice versa.

so, I guess the short answer to your question is: NO

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

spartan, porting your manifold or TB won't do anything for you at this point for reasons torque broke down for you.

i've seen lots of people run high horsepower motors with a stock throttle body, hell, mines stock. granted, it will will probably be my next engine mod, but she runs really well without one

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thanks, guys. My goal is at least 300-325 hp at the wheels. I was thinking of doing a cam whenever I have to change my head gaskets (I have 140k miles right now, so I'm anticipating that within the next year or two). Thanks for setting me straight

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks, guys. My goal is at least 300-325 hp at the wheels. I was thinking of doing a cam whenever I have to change my head gaskets (I have 140k miles right now, so I'm anticipating that within the next year or two). Thanks for setting me straight

is your car a manny tranny? If so, with adding 1.6 rr's and a tune you might be at or around 300 RWHP. It all comes down to the condition of your engine.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
is your car a manny tranny? If so, with adding 1.6 rr's and a tune you might be at or around 300 RWHP. It all comes down to the condition of your engine.
no, I've got a slightly built 4L60E automatic.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MaVeN
Thanks for all the responses.. I think I'm going to do the cai and then the full exaust. Does anybody know how much a full exaust is? Thanks..
You can do a full exhaust anywhere from $300 to $1500. Depends on what you're looking for. You can get a full cat-back system from Flowmaster for about $500(Give or take $100). If I were you I'd jump pn youtube and listen to different exhausts on Camaro's to see which sound you like. Then go from there. Flowmaster is good. Magnaflow is great too but a little more expensive. Then Borla territory is getting into 4 digit prices($$$$) lol. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
4th Gear Member

no, I've got a slightly built 4L60E automatic.
are your cats deleted? If so, then a 3 inch y pipe is beneficial. THen, go for a tune from Solomon and run premium fuel. You will be surprised at how well the car feels and runs. 280-290 WHP vs 300 WHP is not much of a difference other than bragging rights.

It comes down to cost/benefit. Will you derive value from the $$$$ needed to go further beyond bolt ons?

our vehicles are similar

95Z

airfoil
CAI
pacesetter long tubes
off road y
magnaflow
4L60E street/strip build
3.23's gears
1.6 roller rockers
tuned by Solomon
8.5mm wires
MSD coil

it's more than enough power as it tears up the 275's

No, it hasn't been dyno'd but I would guess high 200's WHP or maybe 300

It's the low end torque that I love

Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah I already have my exhaust done (true duals), so I'm gonna leave that alone for a while. Plugs and wires are new, so that takes care of that. Maybe a tune would be next, but it would be pointless to do that before a cam if I choose to go that route (which it's starting to look like I am). Maybe in the meantime I'll focus some more on the show rather than the go haha