LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Need some help...

Ok, my dad said he would help me with mods for my car. I have $600 and he said he would spend about $1000. But the problem is, if he helps pay for mods he gets to drive it on the weekends.... So.... What do I do?

If He helps me, what are some good mods for power?

Thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have any mods done to the car right now?

if not, cold air intake, long tube headers and y-pipe, catback exhaust. that's a good start for you

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Former Sponsor

The most common mods cited under "bang for your buck" are
  • Swaybars
  • Gears
  • Short Shifter
  • Full exhaust
If you're going to install the items yourself, you should be able to knock this all out in your budget if you are crafty $$ wise. At a shop the headers will run you some dough though. But with the above mods, you should REALLY enjoy your car. If you are still running stock tires, a good set of rubber shoes helps.

Either way, those are the first mods anyone should focus on. You can't get a serious boost in HP after that until you get into H\C setups, nitrous or boost.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks guys.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

hey chandler, don't you think he needs to do a better job of getting the air IN? not just out?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whammer3024
hey chandler, don't you think he needs to do a better job of getting the air IN? not just out?
As far as your bang for your buck, a CAI isn't really going to give you that much. The LS cars respond very well to them because the motor is starved for air, but the LTs are mainly exhaust restricted.

With full exhaust you should pick up a good amount of HP at the wheels, the gears will give you a huge "seat of the pants" feel and the sway bars will make the car handle great. If you get tires too it will feel like a whole new car. The short shifter is really cheap if the car is a manual and very satisfying first mod for most people.

If the car is an automatic, a stall is a huge gain too. Once you do a lot more reading with modding the fbodies you realize that you don't get much in power gains until you start dropping serious cash.

The cold air intake, throttle body, air foils, chips, etc etc aren't really going to give you any really appreciable gains. The CAI is debatable, but really, your money is better spent elsewhere. Especially if the car hasn't been very well maintained and needs things like brakes, tires etc

Having an extra 40hp is nice, but if its rattling, squeaking and riding like crap you won't really enjoy the car unless its a track only ride. Sounds like this is his daily.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it was my understanding that the ls had the better air intake and that minimal improvements were needed to bring it up to a level needed for hp gain. i noticed a good gain with my lt1 just adding a k&n cai and not messing with the exhaust. the small filter on the lt1 is one issue and the length and shape is restrictive with all the bends. seems like everyone would be looking for a lt1 intake for there ls1 if they were so much more air friendly.

Last edited by craby; 08-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

kind of what i was thinking craby. i've never heard the LT1's breathe well without a CAI

Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
4th Gear Member

dollar for dollar

use premium fuel. The ignition won't retard as much

then, put on an airfoil into the throttle body

after that, a CAI. The Ebay model is fine, just use a K+N filter

If you still have sufficient $$$, LT headers, off road Y and a 3 inch catback such as maganaflow.

Then, get a tune from Solomon and you will be shocked at the difference in the car.

the last thing before going internal is 1.6 roller rockers.

with 275's all around these things already corner quite nicely. Heck, they handle better than the 2005-2010 S197's.

You need to lower the stangs at least an inch to compete in handling with an older 4th gen.

Chandler motor is correct that the exhaust is very restrictive on the LT1 and also correct about the gains of a cold air intake. It's not that the stock LT1 breathes well, which it doesn't, it's because the LS1 has better heads than the LT1 and thus why the LT doesn't gain as much with a lid or CAI as the LS.

But, you need to assist the LT1 as best as you can and an airfoil and CAI do help. 1.6RR's also help.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
kind of what i was thinking craby. i've never heard the LT1's breathe well without a CAI
I believe chandler may be saying that because of the cylinder heads in a stock LT1.