LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Need to remove old LT1 and install new one

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Default Need to remove old LT1 and install new one

I have a 1994 Camaro Z28, and the people i bought it from put an impala ss engine in it, with a stuck lifter. did not realize it at first so i ended up messing up the cylinder head, now i want to install a Camaro LT1 in it but i have no room to drop it from underneath, so i have to remove it from up top. i am new to this, how do i go about doing this? do i need to remove the exhaust first or what? please help. Also, should i say screw it and just install the LT4 conversion kit, if the block is still good, since i have to take the engine out?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u could try one of these and let me know how it works.
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...y=Happy+Hooker
the lt1 can be built to same or more hp for about the same or less cost. send your heads and intake into loyd at elliotts portworksand have him set u up with a cam.
http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

hey uncle, just took my lt1 out for the first time 3 weeks ago thru the top. 93 camaro. exhaust manifolds/headers, rad, tranny to block bolts, support the tranny with a jack cause it will fall to the ground. then i tried to pull it with a cherry picker but had the accessories still on and it wouldnt come. took all that off turned the motor 45 degrees towards driver and it come out. get a couple guys the night ur ready to pull. never used that happy thing but for 50 bucks might make things easier. i hooked a chain to a head bolt passenger side on the back of the head closer to the intake and ran it across to the front drivers side head. zero slack in the chain then the picker to the chain. good luck.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

just fyi.....motor mounts have to be off (both sides, both pieces) in order to bolt it to the tranny first. then the mounts. no intake made it easier to put in.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

okay...first off...find yourself some aluminum heads off of a camaro. second...the two motors are pretty much the same. i'd pull the motor, fix the problems, then while i'm at it i do a full cam swap, and throw that motor back in

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

it took me 2hours to pull mine out the first time and if you take the accessories mount and the intake and headers and the black piece at the bottom of the wind sheild off it gives a lillt more room and it should slide right out and both motor mounts both pieces

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 AM

thanks for all the advise. but, as i pulled it apart i found out it has alluminum heads and that they "worked" on the passenger side already. they tightened the rocker arms too tight, so i bought new lifters and pushrods and purchased guide plates, since it was already taken apart. i have a few new questions. we tried tightening the rocker arms down but now it seems too tight. what is the proper way on tightening them? and i want to install the K & N air filter (RC-5000), used on the TPI intake. it will fit right on the throttle body. but i want to know, what do i do about the MAF sensor? do i have to use it? or will it do something to the engine if i leave it off? Please let me know as soon as possible, thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I tore mine down to a short block before I pulled it. Lots of room that way.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes u need the maf. yes there is a certain way to set the rockers. do a search on it. camaro69 has explained it several times. while the motor is running is the best way for me. back it off till it starts clickin, then in till it stops, then 1/4 turn in. depending on the lifter u can leave at that or go 1/4 more turn in after the car is off. i think 69 has a little better way and explains it better than me.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

When tightening the rockers while running you will know if they are to tight the motor starts to stall. A good set of roller rockers would help along with lock nuts.

Quick Reply: Need to remove old LT1 and install new one