LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Need help before I leave for College!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Default Need help before I leave for College!!

Ok, so I have two problems wtih my '96 LT1, first my car has a little problem with oil blowby and I was wondering how hard it would be to change a ring set and which set I should purchase i.e. is there a special set for LT1? Second sometimes when I'll be on the interstate I'll be cruisin fine and all of the sudden it feels like it looses power, kinda like when the A/C compressor comes on but once it did it it sounded/felt like it went into nuetral for a second then shot back in gear... any ideas? thanks!!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Default RE: Need help before I leave for College!!

Anyone have ideas?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Droid

Replacing rings requires pulling out the engine and dismantling it. The cylinder bores will need to be honed and depending on the amount of wear oversize pistons will be needed. It also common practice to replace the bearings at the same time. What you are looking at is a complete overhaul.
As for loss of power, could be a bunch of reasons, including the transmission. Is the check engine lite going on?

Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Ok, well I'm glad you told me 'cause I was just thinking, pull off the heads and replace the rings... I can wait on that for a while it only does it at high RPM's... as for the other problem I'm sure it's the transmission... I have a lot of trouble with it... It's getting quite worn out... it might be time for new guts... No the check engine light isn't on... thanks a lot!