LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Lunati Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Default Lunati Cams

Hello everyone,

I am from the Z28.com forum and I would like to ask you all a question. I have a 96 Z28 M6 convertible with 66,880 miles on it and I am in the process of refurbishing it. The wife and I just completed the installation of new upper and lower ball Joint, tie rod ends, brake rotors/pads, shocks and struts. I ordered the pacesetter long tubes with "Y" pipe which should be here tomorrow. I am going to replace the intake and oil pan gaskets so I figured now is a good time to install the cam. I have searched all over the internet and found intel on the Comp and Crane cam kits. I am looking for a cam that will give me a decent lope and powerband that will work with my stock intake, TB and bottom end. The car will not have to pass inspection. I am going to replace the rockers (if needed) and the valve springs. Have any of you used a Lunati kit? If so which one and do you/did you like it. Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Lunati Cams

First off, welcome to the forum!

Second, although I can't give you any personal experience with Lunati Cam kits, I can say for sure that if you upgrade your cam you're going to need to replace at least your valve springs, and you'd be smart to run a full roller rocker. It's recommended that you choose a cam that corresponds with the heads you have on the car, so I usually recommend going with a head/cam package instead of just a cam. The stock intake, TB and bottom end can make a pretty decent amount of power, you shouldn't really have to replace your intake and you only need a new TB if you're making over 350 RWHP. If you're willing to spend a little more green and get a head/cam package, check out http://www.elliottsportworks.com/ if you're going to keep your stock heads and you just want a cam I recommend contacting Comp Cam's help line, explaining to them what you want, and they should be able to recommend a cam for you. Pay them the courtesy of purchasing your cam from them since they helped you find the cam grind. Remember that when you upgrade your cam you're going to need a tune! A full dyno tune is going to be the best, but if you don't want to drop the coin for it get a PCMforLess.com tune.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the information. Comp makes the beehive springs right? I was planning on upgrading the springs and going with the roller rockers. I will Comp and get them to help me out. Thanks again,
DJ

Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Overdrive Member

Comp makes all sorts of springs, beehives included. If you have them help you choose a cam, I'm sure they can recommend the correct spring rates to go along with it.

Have a good time with your cam upgrade, hope to see you around more!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Droid

Most cams come with a spec sheet, but many people do not bother to read it. Among the important things listed is spring pressure and spring dimensions. You should always get springs recommended for a particular cam, you really want to avoid coil bind.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

agree with slvr for the most part, however i would not recommend calling comp cams for advice. i'd go with visiting www.elliottsportworks.com and talk to lloyd elliott about your goals and what you want he will custom grind a cam for you. you don't need to get heads from him to buy stuff from him. he will also help you pick out the parts that will work best together. he's a great guy, just contact him!