LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LTCC (LT1-to-LS1 coil conversion) install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:47 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A little update, since I going to have to redo the drivers side bracket in order to clear the air box, I decided I would just redo both brackets. So I found a metal shop here in Tucson that is going to laser cut them for me. It's 100 bucks which I think is well worth it. All I have to do is drill the holes when I get them and paint them, which I'm thinking just black or chevy orange. But either way it's going to be 2 weeks at the most before I get the brackets, but everything else is ready to go. So the next weekend after I get those I'll be installing this thing and running. I HOPE!!!

Here's what the new brackets are going to look like.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Got my brackets today, had a local metal shop lazer cut these out for me. About 90 bucks but worth it not the make these again. Here's a pic.

They are .125" 5052 aluminum and nice, better than my handmade fab'd ones for sure, nice and clean.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Finally working on this today and hopeing to finish it up. Got everything I need and got a nice bit of it done yesterday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Wish me luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So I worked on this from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. today, 3 hours of that was putting spark plug wires together, those LT1 boots suck to stick wires through. I was getting so pissed and then finally figured out how to get it done. The first two hours I only had 3 put together.

But anyway, got it put together and it started up the first try. I was so happy I can't even explain it as usually nothing I do to the car goes that good. But immediately I could tell it was idling better. After cleaning everything up I took for about a 30 minute test drive and it doesn't stumble at low RPM's like it used to, the accelleration is way better, and it's running about 5-10 degrees cooler than it normally did. And it was usual conditions when I test drove it, which was frick'n hot. So all and all I'm pretty happy with it, I expect that I'll probably pick up a few MPG's also. But time will tell. Anyway, here's a few pics of the finished install and a parts price list.

LS coils from 6.0 GM truck - $64.00 bucks off ebay, used.
Taylor 8mm wires and LT1 boot kit - $110 from Jegs
http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products...rcatalog10.pdf - wires

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products...rcatalog20.pdf - LT1 opti ends

LTCC module - $410 from Bob
Laser cut brackets - $90 from local shop
Misc stuff - bolts, nuts, electrical tape, paint, etc... - $40.00
Time invested - Total about 30 hours not including research

Got any questions, let me know.

The green light meant I did it right.

Last edited by greenarrow; 10-25-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow looks nice.

Forgive me if you already answered this question (didn't read the whole thread), but how much did all the parts cost you?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

See post #34 for that.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No interest at all in this?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear member

This is a pretty neat mod. It seems like a lot of work for what basically seems to me to be an opti replacement.
Have you noticed an improvement in mileage? Do you know anyone who has had this in their car for a long term test?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It has helped a bunch, I wish I could get it dyno'd just to be sure. But let me put it this way, I'm getting about 4+ MPG than I did before. With the A/C on it has more pull than it did before with no A/C on. I just got to get some new plugs and I think that'll add even more to it.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear member

This is one of those situations where I would love to see the before data (with your original ignition components), a complete ignition tuneup (opti/plug/wires/coil/etc) with data and finally see the data after doing the whole LTCC swap.

Just to be certain what the real benefits are compared to just replacing the opti.

If you get a 4+ MPG gain, then that is almost a 20% improvement for me (I get just over 20 mpg now) and that is a pretty big gain.

But, it is a pretty cool mod and definitely should last longer than the original opti would.

Quick Reply: LTCC (LT1-to-LS1 coil conversion) install