LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LTCC (LT1-to-LS1 coil conversion) install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I already sold it on ebay a few months ago, got about $500 bucks out of it. I even put on the listing that I didn't know if it worked or not and there was a bidding war the last few minutes. I've seen that done, I think summit sells a kit that's like that. There's no room in the camaro, and even worse with the SS air box and stuff. I still got to fab a bracket for the controler when it gets here. Delteq went out of buisness a while ago, I didn't know that until I had problems. So instead of dealing with something that I would eventually have to replace anyway due to lack of parts, I just went stock until I could do this. Bob has been around for almost 20+ years, and most of the parts for this you can pick up anywhere.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That was going to be my next comment. What if you have problems with it further down the road and replacement parts aren't available any more? That could be why there was a bidding war on yours, if they were in desperate need to fix theirs. But it would be the module, if anything, that would be the most likely thing to go out on it. Whenever I go on a road trip, I pack ton of tools and any other spare stuff I have just in case. A spare module would probably be in my toolbox as well. Does LTCC give a break if you buy a second module?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't know about a discount for 2, but Bob is good guy and might. I've read some post on other forums about him fixing modules for free after the installers hook them up wrong and fired them, so he might. But from what I've read and what Bob has told me he hasn't had any problems with them going out at all. I had my Delteq for about 6 years with no problems, and the guy I sold it to hooked it up on his vette and it worked for him. And Bob has been selling these for a few years now, so I figure it should last for a good long time.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's good to know then. My only concern about doing that conversion (other than coming up with the $) was "what if" something happened while in the middle of nowhere. You can't get parts for that system over the counter. And generally, an opti won't totally crap out and die without prior warning.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With the LTCC you can get everything over the counter except for the module, with the delteq you could get replacement coils, they were a gm part, but the mount for them and the module you couldn't. I just can't wait to get this all setup.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you have any baseline numbers on your car to do a before and after comparison? Or do you know of anybody who has done a before and after dyno test? I'm curious how much of a difference it really does make, more than just the expected "ooh it's faster"!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't have any numbers for my car to compare to. With the delteq I got better gas millege, about 6+ MPG better. And it didn't stumble at low RPM's like it does know with the stock opti. I did find one thread where the guy did the LTCC with LS1 coils and then a custom tune and got 13 more HP from it. He had the dyno sheets posted in his build thread. I think it may have been z28.com, not sure.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have you seen this setup? If you really want to go nuts with your ignition (and your wallet) to convert it to a totally opti-free LS1 style ignition. http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/

Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, there was one install I found where they used that with the LTCC. Maybe that might be my next project.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Got all the stuff to complete this while I was away, going to start the install tomorrow and post up some pics.

Quick Reply: LTCC (LT1-to-LS1 coil conversion) install