LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT4 Knock module

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Overdrive Member
Default LT4 Knock module

So with long tube headers, do you think I should purchase the LT4 Knock module now, or should I think about purchasing it when I'm ready to recam the car? How much HP do people typically see when they put in the new knock module?

Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: LT4 Knock module

The LT4 knock module itself does not increase power, but is less suceptible to false knock than the LT1 module. Because the metallic noise from the headers is similiar to that caused by spark ping, it causes the knock module to signal the computer that the engine is pinging, and then the computer retards the spark for no good reason. The LT4 module is less sesitive to false indications.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Overdrive Member

I know the module isn't as suceptable to false knock, and I'd assume that my LT1 module as of now is detecting some from the headers noise(they're loud enough I can hear them under the hood when I'm driving it). Do you think I could see any increase in power because the computer can advance the timing more without the false knocks, or do you think it'd be a waste and just the headers aren't producing enough of a false knock noise and it'd be a waste of 50 bucks.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Tech Droid

If the computer is retarding the spark, you will definetely see a power increase with the LT4 module. You could hook up a scan tool & see what the computer is doing to the spark timing as you drive around. However, the module itself is only about $40 and no big deal to change. Personally, I would just change it out and be done with it. I used it in my 94 with stock rxhaust and picked up about 1 tenth of second in the 1/4, so you should do better than that.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Can the computer be progammed to not read this extra noise?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Tech Droid

The computer can be programmed to be less sensitive, but it will also make it less sesitive to real knock as well as to false knock, wheras the LT4 module still reports real knock normally but is less sesitive to false knock.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, to me it sound like youll get better performance even without much hp due to the fact that it will not read it falsly and your hp and torque will be more stable throughout acceleration.
Basically, the LT1 knock module in our cars (1994-1997 LT1's) is too sensitive and is subject to picking up "false knock". What happens is when the computer thinks it's picking up knock, it starts retarding timing. The knock module can cause your timing to be retarded up to 22 degrees. This results in a serious loss of performance. False knock has been reported by most at the high rpm end (who have Scanmasters, Diacoms, and other monitoring devices), which is usually indicated by your car "searching" and "surging" under WOT, and during wheel spin and shifting. Even a noisy valvetrain and headers will set off false knock. I know in my particular case I was seeing up to 11 degrees of timing retard due to false knock under normal acceleration. I attribute that to the loud exhaust and possibly vibration from the supercharger. The general consensus seems to be that if you run 93 octane gas and are normally aspirated, you should have no knock whatsoever. In comes the LT4 Knock Module.... the Knock Module is what interprets the signal from the Knock Sensor in the side of your engine block. The LT4 engine is a normally "noiser" engine due in part to roller rockers in the valvetrain. Engineers did a much better job on the LT4 KM to "listen" for true knock and to weed out the normal engine noises. The results of installing the LT4 KM in the ECM on an 1994-1997 LT1 engine have been anywhere from "didn't notice much of a difference" to "WOW!". It certainly helped in my case. The typical result is smoother acceleration and no "searching" at high rpms. All this while still being able to sense true knock. Basically, the more you mod your car starting with the exhaust, the more susceptible you are to false knock.
So... I just made it sound like I know what Im talking about. haha, actually i dont! Dont listen to me. Listen to these people-

http://www.projecttransam.com/projects1.asp

Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Overdrive Member

haha, good attempt to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about, but at least your man enough to admit where you got the info! Anyway, I think I'll pick one up, better sooner than later I suppose.