LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 running like garbage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 01:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not sure but i think the some of the 95s have four 02 sensors. u should have one on each side before the cats in the headers. i think we should change the 02 sensors once in a while anyways. every 4 to 6 yrs. they may make cleaner for em. anyways if u have 4 the other two will be after the cats. check for grounded, broken wires. check the resistance at the wires after unpuging using the base of the sesnor for ground and post.

Old 09-03-2009 | 07:48 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

It only has 2 O2 sensors and it's not them that's the problem. I hate these cars, lol. It did the same thing for about an hour today. I thought maybe it was vacuum so I sprayed brake parts cleaner all over the place while it was running and it didn't seem like it was effecting anything. Now it's starting right away with no throttle but it turns over REAL slow, like the battery is almost dead and it has bad miss in it now. Like a plug wire is off. None are though. It'll idle fine and the throttle responds quick but it has a slight hesitation in it and when you deck it under a load it's lacking a lot of power and it's missing. Bad plugs?

Old 09-03-2009 | 08:26 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

It also died once while I was driving it and I had to floor it to start it back up and then it was running real rough for about a minute, sounded like it had a big nasty cam in it.

Old 09-04-2009 | 06:15 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

I have since dropped the car off with experts. I have no idea what's going on with it. I had to fight and fight with it today to get it started. I'm being told MAF again or maybe the computer is wasted. Guess we'll wait and see what the boys at MTI (Motorsports Technologies Inc) have to say. Thanks guys, for all your help. I think this one is just a tad beyond my ability to diagnose.

Old 09-08-2009 | 08:07 AM

Very interested in the outcome...

Old 09-09-2009 | 12:01 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Temperature Sensor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was reading that the motor was 14 degrees causing the computer to dump gas down the motor's throat!!!!!!! $17 sensor and a $9 pigtail!!!!!!! stupid car! Now it has a miss, like a plug wire is off. Pretty sure it gas fouled the hell out of the plugs. I'll check them tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2009 | 03:58 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Well, here we go again. Grabbed almost 7k accidentally the other day and now she's blowing white smoke out of the pipes and there's water in the oil. No overheating but there's coolant loss. It's obviously ending up burning out the tailpipe and in the oil but I'm not sure if it's a head gasket or intake gasket. Like I said, no overheating and it's never heated. No oil in coolant. Bit of a misfire to it, too.

Old 09-19-2009 | 05:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well start tearing it down and see what u see. could have done something easy or hard. start with the intake and if theres something obvious fix it and give it a go if u feel comfortable with it.

Old 09-20-2009 | 12:56 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Any theories as to why the hell I have black, greasy water running out of the tailpipes while running? It's not oil. I'm pretty sure it's just picking up a bunch of carbon on it's way out but why the water/coolant AND the white smoke?

Old 09-20-2009 | 01:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

white smoke is steam. black stuff is carbon being steam cleaned from the inside the exhaust and posibly the motor. u have a problem and i would recomend not driving untill u get it fixed and if u plan on trying to keep this motor fix it soon. the water in the motor will do damage if left. u could have a intake leak, blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked block. with doing it on a missed gear or of that nature u most likely blew a gasket somewhere. cracks are usually caused by overheating.

Quick Reply: LT1 running like garbage